Sr. Optical Engineer
- Carlsbad, CA
Sr. Optical Engineer
Be a part of Philips Sleep & Respiratory Care (S&RC) Gas Sensing Technology group as a Senior Optical Engineer focused on gas sensing, capnography & related accessory products. As the senior optical design engineer, you will be responsible for the optical design of various gas sensing products; next generation and on-market. You will utilize the following knowledge and expertise to create market-leading products: optical sensing techniques, absorption spectroscopy, multi-wavelength optical architecture, miniature high-precision optics, understanding of gas sensing devices, host system implementations, medical device design and development, and regulatory landscape. The position within the Gas Sensing Technology R&D group collaborates closely with other R&D functions (electrical, mechanical, software, systems), Marketing, Clinical Affairs, and Quality & Regulatory. This position may require domestic or international travels up to 20% of the time.
- Expert understanding in optical behavior of materials in short to mid wavelength IR.
- Strong experience in wavelength absorption spectroscopy in short to mid wavelength IR.
- Expertise in emitters and detectors for short to mid wavelength IR.
- Strong experience in miniature high-precision opto-mechanical designs with emphasis in de-sensitizing optical component arrangements and alignments to environmental influences (e.g. thermal, vibration, optical, atmospheric).
- Digital signal processing and related mathematics: noise, aliasing, digital and analog filtering techniques, Fourier transforms, autocorrelation.
- Development tools: Zemax OpticStudio, Matlab, SolidWorks; data analysis, and data visualization.
- Reliability: de-rating analysis, Six Sigma (DFSS), failure analysis, physics-of-failure.
- Regulations: IEC 60601-1, IEC 60601-1-2, ISO 14971, FDA cGMP, QSR, ISO 13485, EU MDR, etc.
- Solid Optical Engineering fundamentals and problem solving skills in hardware up through system-level.
- Participate in project teams in NPI, failure investigations, sustaining engineering, etc.
- Communicate ideas and issues effectively to other team members and management.
- Create and document optical designs (e.g. schematics, drawings, test results, performance analyses, etc.).
- Build prototypes for feasibility, functionality, and performance assessments.
- Prepare design documents, requirements documents, architecture documents, technical reports, presentations, as required.
- Contribute to dFMEA, DFT, DFM, risk management, verification & validation plans and reports, etc.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams regarding standards compliance and global regulatory requirements (e.g. IEC 60601-1, IEC 60601-1-2, ISO 14971, FDA cGMP, QSR, ISO 13485, EU MDR).
- Assists engineering team in problem solving issues.
- Mentor less experienced engineers.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
Education and Experience:
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Physics, Optical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 5 or more years of experience in medical device (capital equipment) or related fields (regulated industry preferred).
- Demonstrated knowledge of optical engineering: guided light and modes of propagation, free space beam propagation and diffraction limits, design of beam shaping optics, fiber coupling, polarization and birefringence, interference, optical damage mechanisms.
- Design, construction, and control of optical bench layouts including optical components, opto-mechanics, photodiodes, electronic amplifiers and filters, and computer control and data acquisition systems.
- Emitter and detector characterization and calibration (efficiency, noise, gain, thermal sensitivity, etc.)
- Design of experiments; basic statistics.
- Design and execution of HAST/HALT.
- Experience in developing optical test fixtures for manufacturing environment.
- Strong working knowledge of hardware (electrical, optical, mechanical) and software / firmware.
- Experience in designing to comply with EMC and ESD requirements.
- High reliability designs, DFT, DFM, (medical devices preferred).
- Low-power, high-density designs, (medical devices preferred).
- Design verification test development, execution, report generation.
- In-depth knowledge of product development process and design control from concept to volume production.
- In-depth knowledge of quality assurance techniques, practices, ISO and Regulatory (FDA) compliance.
- In-depth knowledge of medical device regulations and standards (e.g. IEC 60601-1, EU-MDR, FDA cGMP).
- Understanding of capnography or gas sensing products, applications, and technologies a plus.
- Six Sigma (DFSS) Green Belt certification with actual project experience a plus.
- Solid OEM / ODM / CM experience.
In return, we offer you
We offer you the opportunity to grow within the organization and Philips - working cross functionally with R & D, on various projects and initiatives to drive our products to our customers and be a part of saving people's lives every day.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum . Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it's like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog . Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process , or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions .
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, citizenship, disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. Philips is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.
If you have any other questions regarding the recruitment process please refer to our FAQs . In case of technical difficulties with the website, please send an email to email@example.com .
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox . Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Back to top