Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
In this role, you have the opportunity to
design and implement code to create single-threaded, multi-threaded or user interface event driven applications, either stand-alone or those which access servers/services. You will write, modify, test, debug and document software for client applications in addition to using source debuggers and visual development environment.
You are responsible for
- Assisting in the responsible design, development and deployment of a number of New Business Solutions (NBS) products that have Ruby on Rails and Java tech stacks.
- Using agile principles to implement a solution, including tests, and assisting with the deployment of new releases.
- Being accountable and responsible for working on business critical products that operate 24/7/365 and are distributed nationwide to many clients.
- Logging, tracking, analyzing, reporting and managing issues (defects).
- Controlling and coordinating multiple product releases to Production.
- Working in a fast paced and collaborative team environment maintaining existing applications as well as upgrading and building next generation features and solutions.
- Providing 3rd level support.
the New Business Solution's (NBS) team focused on providing tools to help home care providers do a better job of following up with their patients on a timelier, proactive and cost effective basis. NBS' R&D department deploys Agile Development principles to provide innovative solutions. As one of the first companies in Pittsburgh to use Ruby and Rails in a production environment, it encourages developers to leave their comfort zone, touch all aspects of the application suite, and come up with creative solutions. You will also have the opportunity work with a number of technologies as we upgrade of our existing technologies and build next generation solutions.
This role will initially be based in our Murrysville office. Philips will be relocating this office to a new site in Bakery Square , one of the premier locations in Pittsburgh. This is a very exciting time to be joining Philips, as this new location will be the Sleep & Respiratory Center of Excellence. The new office is set to open in late 2020.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or similar technical concentration required.
- 4+ years of professional experience
- Experience coding with Java with the ability to learn new technologies as projects dictate such as Ruby
- Experience with Rails and/or Spring framework
- Experience with SQL Server, MySQL or similar RDBMS
- Thorough knowledge of clustered Web-based Systems
- Demonstrated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and creative problem solving skills and willingness to learn.
- Additional knowledge of the following are seen as beneficial, but not required
- Experience containerizing applications using Docker
- Experience with DevOps in a clustered Rails environment
- Experience with Apache and Phusion Passenger, RHEL and/or CentOS, Clojure and JRuby
- US work authorization is a precondition of employment. The company will not consider candidates who require sponsorship fora work-authorized visa.
- Company relocation benefits will not be provided for this position. Candidates need to live within commuting distance to this office.
the opportunity to sharpen your talents with new challenges in our dynamic organization. As a market-driven company, we're accustomed to listening to our customers & we apply the same thinking to our employees. We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, flexibility in a career with a positive and supportive atmosphere in which to develop your talents further.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum . Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it's like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog . Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process , or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions .
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, citizenship, disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. Philips is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.
If you have any other questions regarding the recruitment process please refer to our FAQs . In case of technical difficulties with the website, please send an email to email@example.com .
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox . Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Back to top