Senior Scientist Health Informatics - Nairobi/ Kenya
Job TitleSenior Scientist Health Informatics - Nairobi/ Kenya
Do you want to make a positive impact on people's lives with your work? Are you passionate about developing new concepts and translate them into options for innovations with industrial and societal relevance? Do you like to be part of a challenging, high-paced research hub at the edge of inclusive innovation in Africa?
In this role you will have the opportunity to work within the Africa Innovation Hub, to develop new concepts and translate them into options for innovations with industrial and societal relevance.
You are responsible for:
- Carrying out industrial research in public health with specific emphasis on applying innovative and emerging technologies (examples include big data analytics, IoT) in primary care for emerging markets
- Embed end-to-end user-centered approach in technology development or conceptualization
- Supporting operationalization of the technology proof-of-concepts through close collaboration with Development & Design
- Keeping abreast of technical, application and market developments in the relevant technological and industrial areas, showing interest in the business aspects;
- Contribute pro-actively to a creative and inspiring working environment;
- Contribute pro-actively to a secure working environment.
- Translate primary customer insights into IT-specific technology propositions (m-health/e-health) that enable primary care performance monitoring based on standard performance metrics and using innovative or non-obtrusive methods including retrospective data, predictive modeling, workflow monitoring, qualitative data.
- Identify and create new propositions based on emerging themes and trends in the technology ecosystem that would strengthen the primary care propositions for Philips, globally
- Clinical and end-user validation of the developed solutions based on standard validation/verification protocols
- Contribute to strengthening engagement with the local ecosystem to foster a collaborative approach to solutions ideation and conceptualization
- Additionally, knowledge of the healthcare-related data integration standards and affinity toward data analysis, warehousing, and integration are important.
- You will keep on developing your knowledge via networking, conferences, scientific articles, etc. External exposure (for example by means of scientific publications) and external collaborations (for example with universities or in the context of European research projects) are highly encouraged.
You are part of the Africa Innovation Hub, a (we believe, inspiring) group of social entrepreneurs and researchers within Philips that specifically designs new solutions and business models for Africa. Our focus is inclusive innovation: to reach the part of society that is not targeted by traditional business, in this case the rising middle-class and base of the pyramid in Africa.
Philips is the first non-it technology company that opened a research hub in Africa so you'll be at the forefront of health innovation in Africa and working with both the local and international innovation ecosystem and high-level international organizations and NGOs.
The headquarters of the Philips Innovation Hub are in Kenya, but you will be working with our research hubs in India and Europe too.
We are constantly looking for highly qualified health informatics scientists (MSc, PhD, PhD+PostDoc or industrial R&D experience). To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience:
- Masters or engineering degree in applied sciences, e.g. Health Informatics.
- Experience in cross-discipline co-operation (e.g. electronics, IT).
- Ability to combine theoretical modelling and experimentation to optimally execute research projects.
- You are a team worker and customer/goal oriented.
- You also have the mindset of an entrepreneur.
- You are passionate about your work and the impact you can make with it on people's lives
- You have a flexible and open mind and you are willing to enter new areas of industrial research.
Other important aspects are:
- a genuine technical curiosity
- well-above-average results from a (technical) university
- outstanding creativity and self-powered work attitude
- good communication skills
- ability to work in an interdisciplinary scientific environment
In return, we offer you a dynamic position in a challenging, purposeful and innovative environment with great opportunities for you to explore, and to be at the edge of innovation in health care for Africa.. As a market-driven company, we're used to listening to our customers & apply the same thinking to our employees. We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits and flexibility in a career with a positive and supportive atmosphere in which to develop your talents further.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video.
To find out more about what it's like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
Does this profile fit your ambitions and passions? Then we might be a perfect match! Our teams of world-class scientists are waiting for you to join their teams and build success together for more inclusive innovation in a better Africa. With our focus on Health and Well-being, your background and expertise will be decisive in determining your fit to Philips Research: it is your talent that will guide us.
To be able to process your application, please enclose the following documents with your application:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Motivation letter, also explaining your research interests;
- Short description of your Master's work or PhD thesis;
- List of your publications;
- Listing of your grades;
- List of references or reference letters.
Please note that this vacancy is only related to Medical Informatics. Please do not apply to more than one 'open' vacancy at Philips Research!
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to [email protected]
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Jose engineers the specific system level requirements for the Philips Sonicare oral healthcare products. He makes certain the detailed design of each device over-delivers on customer expectations every time.
Back to top