Senior Medical Device /Transactional Attorney
Job TitleSenior Medical Device /Transactional Attorney
Philips is a global health and well-being company operating across the health continuum from healthy living and prevention; to diagnosis, treatment and recovery and to home health care. We have a presence in over a 100 countries and a workforce of over 100,000 employees committed to making the world healthier and more sustainable through meaningful innovation. It is our mission to improve the lives of 3 billion people a year by 2025.
At Philips, we work closely with our customers, clinical partners and opinion leaders from around the world to address the multiple, often conflicting challenges, facing health care today. We combine deep human insights and cutting edge clinical expertise to deliver products, services, software and solutions designed to improve patient outcomes while lowering the cost of care. We deliver these advanced solutions to health care professionals to meet the needs of individual patients and hospital systems, and to empowered consumers wherever they are in the health continuum.
Modern health care demands integrated solutions across the health continuum. Our people focused approach incorporates multiple highly advanced digital technologies. We mine and analyze enormous volumes of health related data to improve clinical decision-making and performance, as well as personal lifestyle choices through wearables and self-help health management apps and programs. Our Health Suite digital platform is further transforming health care by democratizing the availability of health care information and solutions. For more information about our businesses and how we make life better, please visit www.Philips.com.
The Law Department is an integral part of Philips. Like our products, services and solutions, we make a difference. We are dedicated to providing high quality legal services on a timely basis to our colleagues around the world so that we as a company can not only better serve our customers but also the communities we serve and in which we live. At Philips, lawyers are part of specific businesses so that they can develop deep insights into the legal, clinical, social, and political issues affecting them. To facilitate a meaningful career development, lawyers take on new or different types of clients after a few years so to leverage their accumulated experience in other businesses. Our goal is to provide a work environment that continually challenges intellectually and professionally and provides the opportunity to do our life's best work. We are convinced that by continually expanding our perspective, we will contribute to our corporate goals of improving patient outcomes, reducing the complexity and cost of delivering excellent health care, and helping people live longer, fuller lives in dignity and with respect. We seek a like-minded legal professional to join us in our San Diego, CA area office.
This position is a great opportunity for a business lawyer who has primarily supported the development, manufacture, and global sales of medical devices, solutions and software by high tech companies. Experience interacting and contracting with hospitals and health systems would be viewed favorably and experience in the image guided therapies space is preferred. Familiarity with the issues surrounding cloud based solutions, software as a solution and ecosystems that support health care related IT platforms would also be a plus.
This position will provide legal support to Philips' Image Guided Therapy (IGT) Device business and be an integral part of the local management team. IGT Devices provides a broad suite of innovative technologies that make coronary and peripheral diagnostic imaging and therapy simpler, more informative and less invasive. Its products empower physicians around the world with a new generation of analytical tools that deliver meaningful information to make better informed treatment decisions and deliver better therapy. As a lawyer supporting this business, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team and provide legal support that requires an ability to work collaboratively within the Legal Function and with multiple business stakeholders. This position will require a diverse set of legal skills related to commercial transactions, litigation management, regulatory counseling, clinical research, consulting, Medicare fraud and abuse compliance, and privacy. Customers are primarily health care systems, hospitals and office based laboratories.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide practical legal counselling and commercial contracting support for the applicable businesses R&D, clinical research, procurement, manufacturing, logistics, marketing, sales, and service activities;
- Coordinate and facilitate other related business initiatives when applicable; and
- Develop and deliver internal training materials to your clients with respect to compliance and legal matters related to all of the above.
10+ years in-house or law firm experience within a relevant health care related company with substantive experience in:
- Providing successful legal commercial/transactional support for the development, purchase and sale of medical devices and services; software maintenance and support; clinical research trials - both sponsored and investigator initiated studies; procurement and other consulting services;
- Litigation management;
- Applying health care Compliance laws (i.e. among others Medicare Fraud and Abuse, Discount and Personal Services Safe Harbors, and Sunshine Law)
- Applying FDA regulatory guidance as part of a team to commercial and clinical research activities;
- Identifying business and legal risks and offering creative solutions and counseling based on a reasonable balance of the applicable issues and risks; and
- Providing clear ethical guidance in all aspects of work.
The following additional experience would be of value:
- Counselling on the proper use of health care and other personal data for R&D, marketing, and other commercial uses, under HIPAA and other applicable law;
- Managing product liability litigation matters with outside counsel, advising on marketing claims development for direct to business and consumer advertising, advising on marketing and sales programs from a compliance perspective; and
- Prior experience negotiating clinical trial agreements with hospitals and research institutions is a plus.
- J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school and admission to a state bar.
- A collegial, cooperative and an open person who enjoys being a team player and builder in a rapidly changing environment, and feels comfortable working in a global environment on projects involving professionals from around the world.
- Ability to travel.
- Persuasive presentation and counseling skills
- Excellent contract drafting skills
- Strategic thinker
- A keen interest in all types of technology.
- A passion about improving how health care is delivered.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to [email protected]
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Sr. Digital Marketing Manager
Grant markets the sophisticated Philips Sonicare oral healthcare products. He helps customers find the best oral hygiene routine and creates meaningful consumer experiences, from launch to purchase.
Back to top