R&D Engineer - Medical Devices
Job TitleR&D Engineer - Medical Devices
We welcome you to join Philips IGT-Devices as an R&D Engineer - Medical Devices in our San Diego, CA location.
In this role, you have the opportunity to work with a cutting edge product line - IGT Devices is part of the Philips Image Guided Therapy (IGT) business group. As the R&D Engineer, you will support product design activities and development of technology destined for transfer to Costa Rica.
You will be involved in all Design Control phases, especially focused on the design verification and validation of the product, which also includes system level testing. The position will contribute all aspects of the design process, with a focus on verification and validation level testing. This person will be a key point of contact with Systems Engineering and System Verification groups and work on strategies to ensure complete verification testing.
You are responsible for
- Knowledge of medical devices in FDA regulated industry
- Develop strategies for both product and system level verification testing and requirements
- Write technical reports and test plans
- Coordinate verification and validation studies and with support, writes plans and reports.
- Provide needed training on disposable product (catheter and wire) uses, requirements and testing to groups such as Systems Engineering and Systems Verification.
- Create, review and optimize test design, reusable test cases and test procedures to ensure complete functional and non-functional test coverage for multiple projects concurrently
- Maintain production-like test environment for formal verification and subject to strict change control
- Contribute to the creation and execution of project plan associated with new products
- Be part of generation of work instructions, preventative maintenance schedules, documentation for components, tooling, and processes of moderate complexity; able to perform operator training
- Support generation and maintenance of pressure wire Process FMEA as part of the Design Control process
- Assist transfer of new designs from R&D to production
- During the product development process, evaluates new product/process technology (internal or external), fixture design, tooling, equipment features/changes, and test methods. Mentors technicians, engineers and junior members of the team
- Strong knowledge and experience with Regulatory requirements associated with design controls
- Assist in statistical analysis and problem solving - development of statistical rationale plans for development studies techniques including, but not limited to verification and validation plans, DOEs, Gage R&Rs
- Assist in development and validation of new test methods
- Define, perform and analyze complex linear experiments and complex DOE's
- Define verification strategy. Drive and approve formal verification phase
- Plan, oversee and execute the verification activities in the project/system, including initiation, test design, coordination, synchronization, review and integration of the technical work
- Ensure requirements are scoped to the proper level of detail and are testable
- Support and interact with other teams for verification, integration, validation and post validation - problem solve and take feedback into the next improvement cycle which includes coordination and collaboration with cross-functional and other verification teams
- Review and approve executed test results to confirm test results provide proper objective evidence requirements are met and are compliant to the verification process
- Coordinate verification activities over multiple teams or global locations
- Maintain automation of scenarios in area of domain expertise, ensure test output delivers a reliable report for the purpose of test evidence
- Work with development leads to employ iterative development test strategies and tactics on assigned projects and ensure full execution of the strategy
- Provide effort estimates
- Create, review and optimize test design, reusable test cases and test procedures to ensure complete functional and non-functional test coverage for multiple projects concurrently. Create defects trends analysis to recognize the weaken areas of the design
- Analyze available data and identify trends and track actual testing progress against the plan and ultimately provide visibility into release readiness and release quality
- Work closely with automation architect to develop functional automation infrastructure and automation framework
You are a part of
Our solutions combine navigational tools such as catheters and guide wires with advanced software to help confirm the optimal treatment at the point of care: measurement technology, procedure-specific application support and on-board imaging and monitoring with improved anatomical and functional information to optimize therapy delivery. The IGT Devices organization consists of three segments: Coronary, Peripheral Vascular and Electrophysiology.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Requires Bachelor's degree in ME, EE, IE, OE, BME, CE or other relevant field with 2+ years of experience in the design, development and manufacturing of a product (device, part, component, etc.), preferably in the medical device industry
- Pressure Guide Wire and IVUS catheter or equivalent disposable medical device experience
- Must be able to read/write and speak English
- Strong technical writing skills for generation of specifications, build method, work instructions, technical protocols and reports
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal to provide updates and feedback to management and team members
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Use data to drive decisions
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio, Project) to create schedules, presentations, graphs and charts and doing analysis
- Demonstrates strong organizational and interpersonal skills working in a cross-functional, regulated environment
- Proficient with additional software packages as required such as statistics software.
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate organizational and interpersonal skills working in a cross-functional, regulated environment
- Knowledge of testing methods (unit, integration, system, V&V, acceptance) applied within the development lifecycle
- Test automation experience is a plus
US work authorization is a precondition of employment. The company will not consider candidates who require sponsorship for a work-authorized visa.
Company relocation benefits will not be provided for this position. Candidates need to live within commuting distance to the San Diego location.
In return, we offer you
We offer you the opportunity to grow within the organization and Philips – working cross functionally with R & D, on various projects and initiatives to drive our products to our customers and be a part of saving people's lives every day.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video
Find out more info about Philips at www.philips.com/na/careers
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to email@example.com.
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Systems Engineer—Seattle, WA
Jose engineers the specific system level requirements for the Philips Sonicare oral healthcare products. He makes certain the detailed design of each device over-delivers on customer expectations every time.
Back to top