Medical Device Development Engineer 2
Job TitleMedical Device Development Engineer 2
We welcome you to join Philips IGT-Devices as a Medical Device Development Engineer 2 who has catheter design, testing and design controls experience to be based out of our San Diego, CA location.
In this role, you have the opportunity to work with a cutting edge product line - IGT Devices is part of the Philips Image Guided Therapy (IGT) business group. This is a great opportunity to work for disposables R&D on IVUS catheters to be used in the peripheral vascular bed.
As the Medical Device Development Engineer 2, you will have the opportunity to work on New Product Development as an innovator on a new catheter product line.
More specifically, this catheter line will be designed with the intention of achieving a higher level of mechanical performance in more challenging clinical use scenarios than what is currently seen with Philips IGT Device's existing phased array peripheral catheter products. Meaning, the catheters under development will be a reinvention of the existing products, not simply a line extension.
As a result, you will need to be open-minded and creative so as to innovate with new mechanical design of the catheters as well as with new ways of testing and evaluating the catheter designs. This opportunity is a true resume builder!
You are responsible for
- Support R&D development projects for the peripheral catheter development program
- Design catheters via user requirements, biocompatible materials, safety requirements and performance standards
- Build physical prototypes of new catheter designs
- Create 3D models and generate part drawings
- Develop fixtures and write protocols/reports for in vitro bench testing
- Identify and analyze root causes for failure modes based on test results
- Perform as core team member on cross functional teams and collaborate with external entities for product, material and process development
- Develop and perform action plans to address CAPA, complaint reduction and other internal projects
You are a part of
Our solutions combine navigational tools such as catheters and guide wires with advanced software to help confirm the optimal treatment at the point of care: measurement technology, procedure-specific application support and on-board imaging and monitoring with improved anatomical and functional information to optimize therapy delivery. The IGT Devices organization consists of three segments: Coronary, Peripheral Vascular and Electrophysiology.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering, Physics or other relevant field
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience or a Masters Degree without work experience
- Read and interpret engineering specifications, drawings, manufacturing instructions and technical analyses
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with some supervision
- Ability to perform mechanical testing of disposable devices involving measurement, tensile strength, simulated use and other methodologies
- Understanding of clinical relevance and importance of customer requirements with catheters used in interventional procedures
- Experience with design control requirements and DHF management
- Assists in initiatives with regard to technological improvements
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to write technical documents such as manufacturing instructions, mechanical drawings, policy manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to understand and use electro-mechanical machinery and test equipment
- Medium to advanced computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and a statistical package such as Minitab
- Proficiency with 3D modeling and CAD software such as SolidWorks
- Knowledge of descriptive statistical data analysis techniques
- Able to organize and prioritize workflow in order to meet project timelines
- Experience with catheter development and manufacturing
- Knowledge of inferential statistical data analysis techniques
- Experience with FDA and ISO standards for medical device design controls and manufacturing
- Familiar with improvement methodologies such as Lean, Six Sigma, Design for Excellence, etc.
- Experience with technical presentations to large groups of people
Travel: Up to 25% - on an as needed basis
In return, we offer you
We offer you the opportunity to grow within the organization and Philips – working cross functionally with R & D, on various projects and initiatives to drive our products to our customers and be a part of saving people's lives every day.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video
Find out more info about Philips at www.philips.com/na/careers
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to [email protected]
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Jose engineers the specific system level requirements for the Philips Sonicare oral healthcare products. He makes certain the detailed design of each device over-delivers on customer expectations every time.
Back to top