Mechanical Design Engineer
Job TitleMechanical Design Engineer
The Mechanical Design Engineer position provides the successful candidate with an immediate opportunity to be involved with technology that helps save lives, improve patient outcomes, and reduce the cost of medicine around the world. Philips is a leading innovator in the field of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), and at the heart of every MRI scanner is a superconducting magnet. Superconducting magnet technology is a cornerstone in the Philips Healthcare portfolio. As an international organization, Philips is well placed to offer a broad range of technical and leadership opportunities in various organizations throughout the world.
In this role as Mechanical Design Engineer, you will focus primarily on design of mechanical structures and components to support the development and maintenance of superconducting MRI magnet products and technologies. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Detailed design, analysis, and testing of mechanical structures with consideration of performance, cost, manufacturability, and reliability
- Developing and executing design verification activities, including analysis, similarity, and testing.
- Developing new processes, methods, and ways of working.
- Thoroughly documenting design inputs and outputs.
- Assisting and/or directing vendors to create prototypes.
- Reviewing and ensuring adequacy of vendor qualification activities.
- Analyzing field and manufacturing issues related to mechanical design and providing solutions where required.
- General design activities such as requirements management, materials and component selection, Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), and tolerance analyses.
- Actively participating in multidisciplinary project teams through all phases of product development to ensure successful execution of innovative and best-in-class designs.
The Development Engineering team, based in Latham, NY, consists of 17 other engineers with diverse backgrounds and expertise. The Development Engineering team works in close collaboration with Design & Drafting, Project Management, Systems Engineering, Manufacturing, Service, and Quality team members throughout the product development lifecycle. The Development Engineering office is co-located with manufacturing, so they are able to see the products come to life and work closely with manufacturing to ensure the final product meets the design intent of the Development Engineer and will meet the expectations of the customer.
At Philips, we are driven by our mission to improve the lives of 3 billion people per year by 2025, and every day we move closer to achieving our goal by creating cutting-edge solutions that lead to confident diagnosis, improved care, and increased quality of life for patients. Thanks to our employees who share our passion for improving lives, we are at the forefront of the Healthcare industry leading in image guided interventions, ultrasound, patient monitoring, cardiology informatics, sleep therapy and respiratory care. Named one of the Top 50 Happiest Companies in America in 2013, we enable our employees to create a legacy in life through their work and support their development through people-centric learning, total rewards and personalized development planning programs.
We are looking for
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering followed by 5+ years of practical experience applying mechanical engineering principles in the new product introduction environment
- Strong ANSYS finite element analysis skills covering:
- Scripting with ANSYS APDL
- 2D and 3D analyses
- Static structural analyses (both linear and nonlinear)
- Modal analysis
- Harmonic response
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to provide technical leadership in ambiguous situations
- Experience performing coupled mechanical-electromagnetic simulations in ANSYS
- Experience performing thermal simulations in ANSYS
- Design for ASME and/or PED pressure vessel regulatory code compliance
- Software tools – Mathcad, Autodesk Inventor, Spaceclaim
- Experience working with medical devices development (preferred) and avionics products
- Hands on experience in setting up tests, creating test fixtures and performing data acquisition, etc.
Visit our career website at: http://www.careers.philips.com/main/
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
In case of difficulties with your job application please send an email to [email protected]
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Jose engineers the specific system level requirements for the Philips Sonicare oral healthcare products. He makes certain the detailed design of each device over-delivers on customer expectations every time.
Back to top