Legal Counsel - Commercial Transactions
Legal Counsel - Commercial Transactions
In this role, you have the opportunity to
primarily support the development, manufacture and sales of medical devices, solutions and software by high tech companies. This position will provide legal support primarily to Philips' Image Guided Therapy Device (IGT-D) business in the US and will need to be able to work with and collaborate with Philips colleagues (lawyers and non-lawyers) outside of the US.
You are responsible for
- Provide practical legal counselling and commercial contracting support for the sales organization as well as R&D, clinical research, regulatory, procurement, manufacturing, logistics, marketing (including review of promotional materials) activities;
- Coordinate and facilitate other related business initiatives when applicable; and
- Develop and deliver internal training materials to internal clients with respect to compliance and legal matters related to all of the above as well as on Philips policies and procedures.
As a lawyer supporting this business, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team and provide legal support that requires an ability to work collaboratively within the Legal Function and with multiple business stakeholders.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school and admission to a state bar.
- 5-10+ years of relevant in-house or law firm health care law experience:
- Providing successful legal commercial/transactional support for the development, purchase and sale of medical devices and services; software maintenance and support; clinical research trials - both sponsored and investigator initiated studies; procurement and other consulting services;
- Applying health care compliance laws (i.e. among others Medicare Fraud and Abuse, Discount and Personal Services Safe Harbors, and Sunshine Law) and advising on marketing and sales programs from a compliance perspective
- Applying FDA regulatory guidance as part of a cross functional team to commercial and clinical research activities;
- Identifying business and legal risks and offering creative solutions and counseling based on a reasonable balance of the applicable issues and risks; and
- Providing clear ethical guidance in all aspects of work.
The following additional experience would be of value:
- Counselling on the proper use of health care and other personal data for R&D, marketing, and other commercial uses, under HIPAA and other applicable law;
- Managing product liability litigation matters with outside counsel,
- Advising on marketing claims development and "marcom" material in the medical device space, and
- Prior experience negotiating clinical trial agreements with hospitals and research institutions.
In return, we offer you
At Philips, lawyers are part of specific businesses so that they can develop deep insights into the legal, clinical, regulatory, social, and political issues affecting them. To facilitate a meaningful career development, lawyers take on new or different types of clients after a few years so to leverage their accumulated experience in other businesses.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum . Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it's like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog . Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process , or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions .
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, and protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Software Engineer—Cambridge, MA
Ankita works with the Innovation Group to develop software which assists Philips customers, improving the day-to-day workflows of clinicians so that they can concentrate on their patients.
Back to top