Job TitleLegal Counsel
In this role, you have the opportunity to:
Experience handling a variety of complex business transactions for high tech companies. Experience working with durable medical equipment supplier and medical device companies is a plus.
This position will provide legal support to Philips' Sleep and Respiratory Care business (SRC). This business provides innovative solutions to sleep and home respiratory care markets around the world. Examples are devices and software for use in the home to treat obstructive sleep apnea and to support patients who suffer from chronic respiratory diseases. As a lawyer you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team and provide legal support that requires an ability to work collaboratively globally within the Legal Function and with multiple business stakeholders in SRC and adjacent Philips businesses that when combined may better assist the patient and health care providers. This position provides an opportunity to develop a diverse set of legal skills necessary to become a lead lawyer for Philips businesses.
You are a part of:
The Law Department is an integral part of Philips. Like our products, services and solutions, we make a difference. We are dedicated to providing high quality legal services on a timely basis to our colleagues around the world so that we as a company can not only better serve our customers but also the communities we serve and in which we live. At Philips, lawyers are assigned to specific businesses so that they can develop deep insights into the legal, clinical, social, and political issues affecting them. After a few years, they are reassigned so to leverage their accumulated experience in other businesses. Our goal is to provide a work environment that continually challenges intellectually and professionally and provides the opportunity to do our life's best work. We are convinced that by continually expanding our perspective, we will contribute to our corporate goals of improving patient outcomes, reducing the complexity and cost of delivering excellent health care, and helping people live longer, fuller lives in dignity and with respect. Philips recently announced its intent to acquire a respiratory business in the St. Paul, Minneapolis area. We seek a like-minded lawyer in either Murrysville, PA (Greater Pittsburgh area) or Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN to assist in supporting this business.
In return, we offer you:
Philips is a global health and well-being company operating across the health continuum from healthy living and prevention, to diagnosis, treatment, recovery and home care. We have a presence in over a 100 countries and a workforce of over 100,000 employees committed to making the world healthier and more sustainable through meaningful innovation. It is our mission to improve the lives of 3 billion people a year by 2025.
At Philips, we work closely with our customers, clinical partners and opinion leaders from around the world to address the multiple, often conflicting challenges, facing health care today. We combine deep human insights and cutting edge clinical expertise to deliver products, services, software and solutions designed to improve patient outcomes while lowering the cost of care. We deliver these advanced solutions to health care professionals to meet the needs of individual patients and hospital systems, and to empowered consumers wherever they are in the health continuum.
Philips' collaborative business groups put people at the center of everything we do to simplify and improve health care. Modern health care demands integrated solutions across the health continuum and our people focused approach delivers this through multiple digital technologies and connected and wearable devices. We mine and analyze enormous volumes of health related data to improve clinical decision-making and performance, as well as personal lifestyle choices. Our HealthSuite digital platform is further transforming health care by democratizing the availability of health care information and solutions.
You are responsible for:
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide practical legal and healthcare compliance counselling on R&D, clinical trial, procurement, manufacturing, logistics, billing, marketing and advertising, sales, and service activities;
- Coordinate and facilitate other related business initiatives when applicable; and
- Develop and deliver internal training materials to your clients with respect to compliance and legal matters related to all of the above.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience:
5-8 years in-house or law firm experience in:
- Providing successful legal commercial/transactional support for all activities of a healthcare business, including development, research, clinical trials, procurement, marketing and advertising, sales, licensing, and payor contracts.
- Identifying business, compliance, and legal risks and offering creative solutions and counseling based on a reasonable balance of the applicable issues.
- Applying health care compliance laws to commercial activities (i.e. among others Medicare Fraud and Abuse, the Personal Services Safe Harbor, Sunshine Law, and HIPAA)
- Experience supporting durable medical equipment suppliers and providing legal advice and review of consumer advertising of medical devices a plus.
- Providing clear ethical guidance in all aspects of work.
- J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school and admission to a state bar.
- A collegial, cooperative and an open person who enjoys being a team player and builder in a rapidly changing environment, and feels comfortable working in a global environment on projects involving professionals from around the world.
- Persuasive presentation and counseling skills
- Excellent contract drafting and negotiation skills
- Strategic thinker
- A keen interest in all types of technology.
- A passion about improving how health care is delivered.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223. option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to [email protected]
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Sr. Digital Marketing Manager
Grant markets the sophisticated Philips Sonicare oral healthcare products. He helps customers find the best oral hygiene routine and creates meaningful consumer experiences, from launch to purchase.
Back to top