Head of R&D, Emergency Care & Resuscitation
Head of R&D, Emergency Care & Resuscitation
In this role, you have the opportunity to
As a key member of the Business leadership team, leads innovation for the Emergency Care and Resuscitation (ECR) business including AED and Monitor/Defibrillator solutions. This role sets the objectives, culture, and budget of a large multi-disciplinary R&D team across multiple locations. Drives organic and inorganic advanced development and product development efforts to deliver extraordinary solutions with uncompromising quality from concept to commercial launch. This leader will challenge the team to continually grow capabilities and move quickly in the dynamic health technology market to build innovation as a strong advantage. Demonstrates the breadth and depth of the wider Philips organization by collaborating with the global Functions, Business Group leadership, and related Business Units. Contributes to the long-term vision of the ECR Business Innovation Unit (BIU) through supporting business development, M&A, and establishing and maintaining strategic partnerships for co-creation and product realization.
You are responsible for
- Works closely with the Leadership team to deliver quality, drive growth, and increase customer satisfaction.
- Leads multi-disciplinary R&D team of Systems, SW, HW, and V&V engineering that delivers new products, sustaining engineering, and advanced development in emergency and acute care solutions.
- Maintains an environment of high expectations and accountability while driving functional excellence across all disciplines.
- Partners with Marketing and Clinical Affairs in defining product strategy and plans and the translation of Voice of Customer into clear product requirements. Accountable for successful new product introduction, launch, and maintenance through the entire product lifecycle.
- Ensures that there are adequate resources and tools, and is responsible for technology and architectural roadmaps.
- Ensures appropriate personnel management practices are in place regarding recruitment and selection, staffing and succession, remuneration, employee development, education and training, and management policy.
- Ensures an engaged, innovative, and inspiring working environment be maintained by motivating, challenging, and coaching for personal growth, entrepreneurship, and customer engagement.
- Analyzes competition, user trends, emerging technology, and ECR vision and strategy to maintain Technical Roadmap.
- Actively promotes collaboration between R&D and Marketing to optimize roadmaps, product quality, and customer experience.
- Responsible for achieving operational plans and execution. Guides and supports Program/Project Managers by ensuring allocation of personnel to the projects.
- Works across borders, cooperating with other leaders, programs, and similar business units and groups. Establishes a network with worldwide thought leaders, relevant players, scientific relations outside of the department and with the business and actively leverages this network for technological developments, identifying trends, and augmenting skillsets.
You are part of
ECR (Emergency Care and Resuscitation) Business Unit within the Therapeutic Care Business Group
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Minimum 12 + years of related management and technical management experience in the medical device industry, with minimum 5 years at a Senior Management level.
- Demonstrated track record of building and driving world-class teams for results to commitments in hardware, software, and systems engineering, in a highly regulated environment, from MDDS Software applications to Class III PMA medical devices.
- Extensive knowledge/experience in the design of medical embedded systems and web based software applications. Monitor/Defibrillator and AED experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of global quality and regulatory environment for medical devices including FDA CFR 21 part 820 and IEC 60601-1-1 (CE mark), ISO 13485, and risk management requirements and development dependencies.
- Bachelor's/MS/PhD degrees in Engineering or related field, or an MBA or clinical background in lieu of advanced Engineering degree(s).
- Proven ability to lead and thrive in the matrix management structure.
- Background working with partners in strategic sourcing and supplier quality.
- Demonstrates strong results orientation: This position requires the validated ability to consistently meet and/or exceed goals. Candidates must be capable of making commitments, setting priorities, and delivering results on time and on budget.
- Possess strategic agility/vision: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future concerns
- Develops and manages effective relationships and is capable of quickly earning trust and respect.
- Demonstrated record of decisiveness - an ability to act thoughtfully - and quickly.
- Strong overall business and people skills, including strategic planning, executive presentation skills and business financial acumen.
- Maintains a culture of accountability, integrity, and high expectations- leads by example.
IN RETURN, WE OFFER YOU
Sharpen your talents with new challenges in our dynamic organization. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and flexibility in a career with a positive and supportive atmosphere in which to develop your talents further.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum . Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it's like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog . Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process , or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions .
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Back to top