Data Engineer/ Research Engineer
Effective Wednesday, December 8, 2021, all U.S.-based employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment at Philips. Employees with a sincerely held religious belief and/or disability impacting their ability to obtain the COVID vaccine can request a reasonable accommodation.
If you are a Colorado resident and this role is a field-based or remote role, you may be eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. You may c ontact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
Philips is a global leader in health technology, committed to improving billions of lives worldwide and striving to make the world healthier and more sustainable through innovation. Driven by the vision of a better tomorrow.
But it's not just what we do, it's who we are. We are 80,000, wonderfully unique individuals, with two things in common: An unwavering sense of purpose and a relentless determination to deliver on our customers' needs. It's what inspires us to create meaningful solutions - the kind that make a real difference - when it matters most.
The world and our customers' needs are changing faster than ever before and while we are proud of what we do already, we know we can do more. That's why we need you, to help us tackle increasingly complex challenges posed by ever-evolving health and well-being needs.
In this role, you have the opportunity to make life better
Looking at the challenges the world is facing today Philips' purpose has never been more relevant. So, whatever your role, if you share our passion for helping others, you'll be working towards creating a better and fairer future for all.
Advance healthcare through better clinical decision support. Your team is focused on big healthcare data analytics, predictive modeling, precision medicine, and outcome management. We need your help to leverage Philips' unique healthcare data assets. Are you ready to champion this effort as an important member of the Research team?
You are responsible for
- Manage the acquisition, storage, and use of healthcare big data for informatics research and development
- Collaborate with data scientists, engineers and customers to iteratively identify and document requirements/needs for healthcare big data systems, including processing pipelines
- Design, develop, document, test, support, and maintain healthcare big data systems to satisfy requirements.
- Monitor the performance, scalability, and security of data systems with automated monitoring and alerting
- Prepare data for big data science analysis, including prescriptive and predictive modeling
- Explore ways to enhance data quality and reliability
- Develop analytical tools and programs
- Develop health care big data infrastructures that accommodate existing health care data models
- Maintain knowledge of database technologies, along with solid software and systems engineering industry practices.
Philips has offerings spanning components, modules, systems, turnkey projects and services, and is recognized as a pioneer and leader in the healthcare industry. We simplify healthcare by focusing on the people in the care cycle - patients and care providers. By combining human insights and clinical expertise, we aim to improve patient outcomes while lowering the burden on the healthcare system and providers. Philips delivers advanced solutions to health professionals to meet the needs of patients, and to empowered consumers for affordable healthcare whether in the hospital or at home.
We work in multidisciplinary teams. Philips Research has been one of the world's premier research labs since 1914. We develop scientific, engineering and business innovations to enhance health and well-being.
For more information about Philips Research, please visit: www.research.philips.com
To succeed in this role, you'll need a customer-first attitude and the following
- BS (MS preferred) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Database Engineering, or a related field.
- 3+ years of professional experience developing, testing, supporting, and maintaining deployed big data solutions for operational commercial software products implemented using distributed software technologies
- Must have demonstrated programming experience with one of the following: Python, Java or R
- Database experience with SQL is required
- Must have experience with distributed data management tools and distributed file systems: Hadoop, Spark, Hive, or Pig
- Knowledge of Linux
- Self-starter who can work towards larger goals with minimal guidance
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Experience with enterprise cluster management software (e.g., Cloudera products) a plus
- Experience with ElasticSearch a plus
- Experience with NoSQL databases a plus
- Experience with Docker a plus
We are happy to provide an opportunity to work with one of the strongest research labs in the world and deliver solutions will have a direct impact on patient care. You will be part of a flexible team of highly skilled professionals that are able to find an excellent work-life balance. Just think the solutions you develop will give a better balance to the healthcare professionals and patients they are treating.
How we work at Philips
Our newly adopted hybrid work concept fuses flexibility with collaboration to deliver great outcomes for our people and our customers. We are embracing an approach wherein we spend more time together than apart - which for full-time employees translates to an average of at least 3 days working from the office and up to 2 days from home - for our hybrid roles.
Hybrid work flexibility means people can meet the changing demands of work and home in the most balanced, productive, and healthy way.
Our hybrid working model is defined in 3 ways:
We believe in the importance of impactful collaboration: There's a certain energy when everyone's in the same room that can heighten idea generation and creative friction needed for problem-solving.
We embrace flexibility: Choosing where, when, and how to work can vary according to task and team schedules. Flexibility isn't office or online, it means choosing the space that works best for you, your teams, and our customers on a case-by-case basis.
We want to be at our best: The way we work, and our workspaces are designed to support our well-being, offer career advancement opportunities, and enable us to be at our best.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on innovative, customer-first health technology solutions. Help us improve the health and well-being of billions of people, every year. Ultimately creating a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.
Visit our careers website to explore what it's like working at Philips , read stories from our employee blog , find information about our recruitment process and answers to some frequently asked questions .
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status or a person's relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.