Data Engineer/ Research Engineer
- Cambridge, MA
Data Engineer/ Research Engineer
If you are a Colorado resident and this role is a field-based or remote role, you may be eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. You may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
In this role, you have the opportunity to
Advance healthcare through better clinical decision support. Your team is focused on big healthcare data analytics, predictive modeling, precision medicine, and outcome management. We need your help to leverage Philips' unique healthcare data assets. Are you ready to champion this effort as an important member of the Research team?
You are responsible for
- Manage the acquisition, storage, and use of healthcare big data for informatics research and development
- Collaborate with data scientists, engineers and customers to iteratively identify and document requirements/needs for healthcare big data systems, including processing pipelines
- Design, develop, document, test, support, and maintain healthcare big data systems to satisfy requirements.
- Monitor the performance, scalability, and security of data systems with automated monitoring and alerting
- Prepare data for big data science analysis, including prescriptive and predictive modeling
- Explore ways to enhance data quality and reliability
- Develop analytical tools and programs
- Develop health care big data infrastructures that accommodate existing health care data models
- Maintain knowledge of database technologies, along with solid software and systems engineering industry practices.
You are a part of
Philips has offerings spanning components, modules, systems, turnkey projects and services, and is recognized as a pioneer and leader in the healthcare industry. We simplify healthcare by focusing on the people in the care cycle - patients and care providers. By combining human insights and clinical expertise, we aim to improve patient outcomes while lowering the burden on the healthcare system and providers. Philips delivers advanced solutions to health professionals to meet the needs of patients, and to empowered consumers for affordable healthcare whether in the hospital or at home.
We work in multidisciplinary teams. Philips Research has been one of the world's premier research labs since 1914. We develop scientific, engineering and business innovations to enhance health and well-being.
For more information about Philips Research, please visit: www.research.philips.com
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- BS (MS preferred) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Database Engineering, or a related field.
- 3+ years of professional experience developing, testing, supporting, and maintaining deployed big data solutions for operational commercial software products implemented using distributed software technologies
- Must have demonstrated programming experience with one of the following: Python, Java or R
- Database experience with SQL is required
- Must have experience with distributed data management tools and distributed file systems: Hadoop, Spark, Hive, or Pig
- Knowledge of Linux
- Self-starter who can work towards larger goals with minimal guidance
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Experience with enterprise cluster management software (e.g., Cloudera products) a plus
- Experience with ElasticSearch a plus
- Experience with NoSQL databases a plus
- Experience with Docker a plus
In return, we offer you
We are happy to provide an opportunity to work with one of the strongest research labs in the world and deliver solutions will have a direct impact on patient care. You will be part of a flexible team of highly skilled professionals that are able to find an excellent work-life balance. Just think the solutions you develop will give a better balance to the healthcare professionals and patients they are treating.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving billions of lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum . Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it's like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog . Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process , or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions .
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status or a person's relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.
Back to top