Sr Java Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Looking to make a real difference?
You belong right here.
Come build a rewarding career helping others achieve their financial dream at an organization that values your own long-term success. With your unique talents, you have what it takes to be bold and brilliant in everything you do and reach new heights for a company dedicated to diversity and inclusion, community and you.
If you share that belief, this is where you belong.
Join our team of nearly 6,000 associates across 40 different locations worldwide and start your future today.
About Us: Personal Capital, an Empower Company, is a remote-delivery, industry-leading digital wealth management company that helps people transform their financial lives through technology and advisory services. In 2020, Personal Capital joined Empower Retirement, the nation's second-largest retirement services provider, to continue the mission to disrupt the traditional $30 trillion U.S. wealth management market. Our state-of-the-art tools and technology provide investors with a complete financial picture, utilized by over 2.5 million customers. Our registered investment advisors offer expert guidance and customized strategies based on a personal understanding of an investor's financial picture and goals. Personal Capital currently manages over $14 billion in assets, virtually delivered from offices across the U.S.
The Opportunity: You will work on data that will amaze you, work with a team that will inspire you, and help create products that truly add value to our users. Personal Capital's server team is extremely agile and native of the cloud and you will have the chance to to be an influencing member of this team, not just on Personal Capital, but also on the financial lives of our users. We keep our feet on the ground and heads in the cloud.
The Candidate: We are looking for a very curious Senior Java/AWS Engineer. You need to be a thinker and a doer. You need to be smart and build smart products. You need to be ambitious. This is not an easy job: you will need to wear multiple hats, work with many unknowns, travel many unpaved roads to tackle large-scale problems. And you need to have a cloud native app mentality. This will be your finest work and creation, and an amazing engineering team is there to collaborate with you and support you.
The Work: As a server side engineer you will work on many initiatives, integrations, innovations, while always trying to scale it more, improve performance and keep the system secure.
- Design, implement, deploy and support new web-based applications and web services using server technologies stacks that include Java, MySQL and AWS services.
- Define and implement REST Web Services for exposing personal financial services for managing financial accounts, payments, investment portfolios, credit products
- Execute end-to-end software development and deployment in an agile environment that greatly values CI/CD.
- Define and develop cloud-native distributed systems and container orchestration platforms using micro service and serverless architectures.
Skills and Experience:
- 4+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Expertise with standard server-side software technologies, including: Java, MySQL, Spring, Hibernate, etc.
- Experience with REST and API design
- Experience with AWS Cloud Computing infrastructure and APIs is a big plus.
- Solid practitioner's understanding of secure application development best practices, such as OWASP
- Deployment of scalable web systems with architectural requirements for high availability, high throughput, low response time, etc.
- Experience in Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOA/OOD) with appropriate use of design patterns.
- Desire to grow professionally with a small, focused, development team in a fast-paced team.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- Bachelor's degree or higher, in Computer Science or related field
Personal Capital is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
What we offer you
We offer an array of diverse and inclusive benefits regardless of where you are in your career. We believe that providing our employees with the means to lead healthy balanced lives results in the best possible work performance.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Retirement savings - 401(k) plan with generous company matching contributions (up to 5), financial advisory services, potential company discretionary contribution, and a broad investment lineup
- Tuition reimbursement up to $5,250/year
- Business-casual environment that includes the option to wear jeans
- Generous paid time off upon hire - including a paid time off program plus nine paid company holidays and three floating holidays each calendar year
- Paid volunteer time - 16 hours per calendar year
- Leave of absence programs - including paid parental leave, paid short- and long-term disability, and Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
- Business Resource Groups (BRGs) - internal networks that rally around common interest, experiences and identities such as race, ethnicity, gender, ability, military status and sexual orientation. BRGs play a vital role in educating and engaging our people and advancing our business priorities.
Competitive compensation, includes base salary and eligibility to participate in either an annual bonus program or sales incentive plan, as applicable. Base salary range provided below is a reasonable estimate and final base salary may differ based on the selected candidate's education, training, experience, licensure requirements, travel requirements and geographic location.
CA San Francisco
Base Salary Range
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Back to top