Sr. Software Developer, Mass Spectroscopy
Provide software development skills in innovating and developing Mass Spec applications involving PerkinElmer Mass Spec instruments. The role will include close collaborations with software teams within PerkinElmer and laboratories.
This position reports to Mass Spec Domain Lead in Bolton
The Diagnostics Software Product team is seeking a full time Software Developer to join our Mass Spec Software Development team. This individual will be part of a dynamic group of engineers responsible for gathering product requirements, documenting, developing, deploying, validating, and supporting PerkinElmer Mass Spec software suite applications.
Our team provides software applications and tools that manage our Mass Spec instruments and integration of our Mass Spec instruments with our diagnostic software suite of applications that help enable the early detection of certain life-threatening genetic and metabolic disorders in newborn babies. If detected and treated soon enough, most babies will be able to live healthy, normal lives. To learn more about newborn screening please visit http://www.savebabies.org/.
This Software Developer position requires constant team interaction. In this position you will gain knowledge on how to gather and analyze requirements, set up tools to enable SDLC processes, develop applications that meet standards and comply with regulations, test and deploy. You will also learn how to use SOPs and templates to create and execute validation steps, and how to compile these steps into test plans. In addition, you will also learn how to produce training material and end-user manuals. The whole experience will lead you gain an understanding of the science behind genetic screening.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Map requirements to specs that lead to architecting a software solution(s).
- Provide skills to design and develop or update Mass Spec software applications.
- Participate in strategic planning, design of the processes, and the implementation of data analysis improvements.
- Establish best-in-practice operations to collect, process and analysis of Mass Spec instrument data to link and extract information to screen prenatal and neonatal.
- Provide skills in developing new tools for instruments data analysis, integration and analytics.
- Work closely with solution architects and other developers for solution design.
- Play key role in conceptualization, design and development of new Mass Spec product(s) / applications to expand our Mass Spec software product offerings in the market place.
- Be a team player and put team objectives above personal ambitions
Job Requirements :
- Degree in Computational biology, electrical/computer engineering, mathematics, physics, molecular biology, or equivalent.
- Expert knowledge of the current methods in Mass Spec software applications development.
- Experience in organizing and working with Mass Spec instrument data.
- Knowledge of systems and computational biology, particularly using Mass Spec.
- Strong knowledge of Mass Spec applications with mastery and ability to mentor others in Mass Spec fundamentals.
- Savvy with tools (including but not limited to MSSQL; SQLLite, .NET; WCF; WPF; C++; C#) to develop state-of-the-art applications.
- Experience in developing applications using SDLC process and agile / SCRUM methodology.
- Excellent communication skills (written, oral and presentational).
- If remote, 10-20% travel is likely.
- Hands-on experience with developing, deploying and maintenance of Mass Spec Software applications is required.
- Build and execute on Mass Spec Software applications for diagnostics.
- Technology alignment with PerkinElmer (EA, enterprise architecture) direction & roadmap.
- Aligned technology solution with business strategies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong technical background and problem solving skills - ability to dissect problems and projects into manageable tasks.
- Demonstrate expertise & competency in technical domain.
- Ability to use agile methodology and processes in developing applications.
- Ability to with work with cross-functional teams - excellent group interaction and negotiating skills.
- Customer focus, value driven – passionate about working to develop applications to address customer needs.
- Ability to provide mentorship & leadership for developing / maintaining teams.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills in front of internal teams and customers.
KEY PERFORMANCE METRICS:
- Agile delivery.Established technical standards and policies.
- Process efficiency & effectiveness.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
To submit your resume for this job, select how you heard about the job and then click the "Submit Your Resume" button below.
Meet Some of PerkinElmer's Employees
Director of Medical & Clinical Affairs, ViaCord
Kate manages PerkinElmer’s regenerative medicine program as part of ViaCord, which offers families umbilical cord and tissue banking.
Back to top