Laboratory Technician to join our DNA Sequencing group in Branford, CT. This laboratory technician performs clinical laboratory test procedures following standard operating and quality assurance procedures. The successful candidate will be a key contributor in a team committed to Clinical sequencing services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Experienced Laboratory Technician to conduct a diverse set of both Sanger and next generation protocols including, but not limited to, sample QC, PCR, library preparation, sequence capture, and sequencer operation.
- Multiple daily production tasks including operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of all sample preparation robots and sequencing instruments.
- Write, review, read, understand and follow applicable standard operating procedures (SOPs) within PolicyTech (electronic document management system).
- Perform accurate and timely data entry into LIMS to ensure accurate sample tracking.
- Effective communication with all groups in the laboratory to ensure accurate project status and efficient production.
- Ensure project deliverables while being sensitive to turnaround times (TATs).
- Perform equipment maintenance, calibration, QC, and proficiency testing.
- Conduct training as required.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Job Requirements :
- BS or Technical degree in a Life Sciences discipline with a minimum of 5+ years of experience conducting high throughput DNA Sequencing in a commercial, academic, or government laboratory.
- Must be detail oriented, highly organized, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot and work independently under pressure of deadlines as well as the desire to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Practical knowledge of routine laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Experience with LIMS and laboratory automation highly desired.
- Practical experience with clinical laboratory practices and protocols is a definite plus.
Work Environment: Clinical laboratory
Language: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Math Ability: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Microsoft Excel. Ability to operate laboratory computer systems.
Special Skills: Exercise good judgment when making decisions; seek assistance from others when uncertain.
Demonstrate effective interpersonal communications between departments and co-workers.
Communicate effectively (orally and written) with coworkers, employees of other departments, supervisors, and administration.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability to work in a laboratory setting and be able to lift objects up to 25 pounds. Fine finger dexterity to calibrate and operate laboratory equipment and instruments While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit for long periods; use hands; reach with hands and arms, eye-hand coordination, repetitive hand and wrist movement, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and to smell.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
To submit your resume for this job, select how you heard about the job and then click the "Submit Your Resume" button below.
Meet Some of PerkinElmer's Employees
VP, Technology & Innovation
Karen is charged with driving innovation both internally and externally. She spends her days identifying new markets, technologies, and innovative product offerings that PerkinElmer can leverage to potentially disrupt the marketplace.
Back to top