Instruments Planning Leader
Location: Any PKI site (up to 20% travel expected)
Reporting to the Senior Director of Materials, the Instruments Planning Leader is responsible for the development and deployment of strategic policies, processes and procedures that deliver forecasting, planning, fulfilment and inventory optimization excellence for the PerkinElmer instruments, and accessories businesses. This role is critical for transforming the instrument planning operations in accordance with the following two principles:
- Order fulfillment and distribution strategy
- Only Manufacturing Parts @ Manufacturing Sites: Support the effort to free up manufacturing space by removing non-needed parts while making more effective use of the six regional and service distribution centers
In addition to the strategic responsibilities outlined above, this position will have direct tactical responsibilities for the instrument business, specifically for global planning of purchased and manufactured parts and instruments. Additionally the Instruments Planning Leader will identify and, lead projects to deliver improvements in forecasting, planning, fulfillment, obsolescence and inventory optimization performance, supported by current ERP systems and leading-edge planning and execution techniques.
This role works closely with planning leads and planners at manufacturing sites to establish and refine planning related objectives, review progress on priorities (e.g; inventory reduction actions) and ensure connectivity to other initiatives likely to impact instrument planning and distribution. Also, the Consumables Planning Leader will require a very close working relationship with the procurement teams to assure effective execution of the instrument planning effort. Additionally the Instrument Planning Leader will work closely and coordinate efforts with the Consumables Planning Leader, particularly with regard to instrument accessories.
Site Planning Leaders at the manufacturing sites will continue to report to their corresponding Site Leader (or Global Procurement Lead).
The ideal candidate will deliver against the following:
Standardize Instrument Planning Processes
- Disseminate, train and then monitor the usage of and adherence to these standardized processes at each site.
- Directly manage the planning for instruments and complementary parts that are stocked in manufacturing plants and the regional distribution centers.
- Working with the site planning leads and planners, uncover and lead additional programs to improve planning processes and systems to world class levels, including (but not limited to) advanced planning, life cycle management, inventory optimization and distribution network design.
- Work closely with the Business Planning Leader and the Procurement, Logistics and Service groups to remove site specific variations by clarifying, refining and standardizing responsibilities that are currently shared among the four groups.
- Lead the assessment to determine the benefit of extending the SIOP process to include Instruments
Improve measurements, control methods and performance.
- Develop and execute inventory control methods and reports to assure accurate plus appropriate inventory levels.
- Similarly, define and lead efforts to improve measurement systems and control tools for
- Reagent/Consumables on-time delivery
- Reagent/Consumables backlog
- Standardize and unify the "tool sets" used by the various sites to manage their consumables and reagent planning; with an emphasis on standardizing any non-SAP tools.
- Assure that reports and measurements accommodate the single part, single global planner structure vs. the more typical approach of being site specific.
Drive Improvements in Stocking Programs and corresponding Network Distribution changes.
- Support the re-design and re-launch of the current program. Future design should consider:
- Business need for forward stocking vs centralized stocking
- Regional demand (APAC, Europe, Americas) vs. current global focus
- Differentiation between saleable parts and service parts
- Rationalize the stocking relationships between Service Distribution Centers and Manufacturing Sites/Regional Distribution centers, consistent with
- Global planner structure
- Elimination of redundant stocking in single physical location.
- On-going characterization of parts as service parts or consumables based on use.
- Partner with Consumable Planning Lead in development of improved processes for managing OEM instruments and accessories
- Working with Business Management, develop a global process for the identification of and discontinuation of slow-moving products.
- Similarly, formalize the process for the transition of parts from Raw Material to Service stock upon the discontinuation of a production model.
Provide Leadership and proper administration for the planning organization
- Provide direct leadership, management, prioritization and direction to Distribution Center planners
- Provide indirect leadership and direction to manufacturing site reagent and consumables planners
- Train new personnel in Global Planning's Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ensure conformance with all ISO requirements
Job Requirements :
- Possess Bachelor's or Master's degree in business, engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years of related work experience, ideally with a reagent/consumables business.
- Supply planning or supply chain certifications (CSCP, CPIM, APICS, etc.) preferred.
- Must have significant SAP expertise with an emphasis on manufacturing requirements planning, inventory management, production planning and materials management.
- Lean, Six Sigma methodology, SPC and project management capabilities highly desirable.Proven project management skills.
- Strong data analysis skills required: MS Excel expertise required, MS Access skill desired. Spotfire and SAP Business Intelligence experience also desirable.
- Clear high performance orientation; committed to agreed-upon objectives and takes pride in work; demonstrates energy, enthusiasm, positive attitude and creativity in problem solving.
- Executes duties in a customer-focused, cooperative team approach with all Company personnel.
- Develops and maintains a strong working relationship with the IT support team and IT management.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
To submit your resume for this job, select how you heard about the job and then click the "Submit Your Resume" button below.
Meet Some of PerkinElmer's Employees
VP, Technology & Innovation
Karen is charged with driving innovation both internally and externally. She spends her days identifying new markets, technologies, and innovative product offerings that PerkinElmer can leverage to potentially disrupt the marketplace.
Back to top