Application Development Scientist – Automation & Liquid Handling
Summary: The Application Development Scientist provides expertise on the programming and integration of liquid handlers with a thorough understanding of the software, hardware, features, and capabilities of the PerkinElmer automation workstations. This expertise is applied toward the development and optimization of specific pre-programmed protocols (applications) that may be installed and run on various liquid handling workstations. The position involves working both independently and as part of a team that may include mechanical engineers, software engineers, biochemists and/or molecular biologists, commercial customers and project managers.
The individual is expected to support the global PerkinElmer automation business by expanding instrument capabilities, working as necessary with technical support to troubleshoot complex customer issues, and providing training and marketing material for new application capabilities that will be used to support the sales of automation instruments globally.
The role is critical in driving the development and support of global field application specialists & the PerkinElmer sales team. Working with key commercial entities, you will craft automation methods & workflows that will be disseminated globally, allowing PerkinElmer specialist to support internal sales specialists and customers with novel and well annotated automation methods, allowing PerkinElmer to continue to lead the field.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop user friendly, pre-programmed applications for the execution of complex sample preparation protocols that can be run by laboratory personnel with little/no experience running or programming liquid handlers.
- Program software add-ons that expand the capabilities of liquid handling workstations beyond the features and commands that are available in the released software and/or allow the integration of new tools with the liquid handling workstation.
- Work with engineers and software developers to define requirements for instrument capabilities in order to support new types of applications.
- Support new product development by designing and executing test protocols to ensure that new instruments meet user requirements and perform to specifications.
- 10-20% travel to support FAS teams and customers with training and troubleshooting.
- Assist in the writing of application notes and white papers related to automation/ workflow method development and testing.
Job Requirements :
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or related field
- Minimum 1-2 years industry experience working with instrument development
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency with various programming languages including but not limited to: C, C++, and Visual Basic
- Competency with AutoCAD, MATLAB, Microsoft Office software
- Laboratory experience with molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related field with ability to independently follow experimental protocols and interpret/present results in a clear and concise manner.
Physical Requirements (if applicable):
- Physically capable of working in a laboratory environment
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
To submit your resume for this job, select how you heard about the job and then click the "Submit Your Resume" button below.
Meet Some of PerkinElmer's Employees
VP, Technology & Innovation
Karen is charged with driving innovation both internally and externally. She spends her days identifying new markets, technologies, and innovative product offerings that PerkinElmer can leverage to potentially disrupt the marketplace.
Back to top