- Newark, NJ
The School Nurse collaborates with the entire People’s Prep community to provide expertise and oversight for the provision of school health services and acts as a liaison between school personnel, family, community, and healthcare providers to advocate for healthcare and a healthy school environment. The Nurse works directly with our Operations Team to support the health of our students and staff and to ensure the school is in compliance with all health regulations and policies. All People’s Prep teachers and staff serve as models for our students by bringing to life our core values of Grit, Empathy, Achievement, Curiosity, Humility, and Enthusiasm.
- Initiate contact with families or alternate contact persons in the event of serious illness, injury, or other medical emergencies.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the school and family for medical 504s.
- Join the Child Study Team to address medical concerns for students with disabilities.
- Accompany students and staff to the hospital during health emergencies.
- Develop and maintain an accurate, complete file on each student with documentation of relevant health records, required immunizations, and information on pre-existing medical conditions.
- Conduct all necessary screenings and maintains accurate documentation in a timely manner.
- Accept, keep, and dispense prescribed medications at appropriate intervals after obtaining required documentation from families and/or physicians.
- Work closely with the Student Enrollment Team to ensure timely and accurate transmission of student health records.
- Create and revise, in collaboration with school leaders and relevant departments, a professional development plan that will ensure continued advancement in the field for the benefit of all students and community members.
- Develop and maintain advisory and educational displays related to student and community health throughout the school.
- Collaborate with and support the Physical Education department in meeting their quarterly goals around student health.
- Conduct outreach with community service agencies to provide relevant information regarding student health.
- Complete other duties upon request by the School Leaders.
Qualifications and Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing required
- NJ school nurse certification preferred Candidates not yet certified must be eligible to obtain certification (i.e. currently hold an NJ registered professional nurse license and current CPR/AED certificates)
- Firm commitment to and belief in People’s Prep’s mission
- Excellent verbal and written skills in communicating with diverse audiences
- Openness to feedback and willingness to take personal responsibility for student well-being
- Urban school-based experience, or a demonstrated commitment to closing the achievement gap
People’s Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.
Back to top