Staff Engineer, Leaderboard
- New York, NY
The Leaderboard Engineering team is responsible for the core leaderboard experience when someone takes a Peloton class. Peloton’s leaderboard shows a person’s real time ranking or presence in the class. It is one of the most heavily used features and serves some of the largest traffic within the Peloton system.
We are looking for a passionate Staff Engineer/Tech Lead to join this rapidly growing team. We want someone to provide technical leadership as the team designs, builds, and deploys innovative products and services. This position has a lot of autonomy and will be able to influence the direction of new and existing projects. We are looking for hands-on coding, mentoring developers, designing system architecture and all around execution excellence.
- Lead the development and improvement of the in-class leaderboard user experience which include leaderboard for live classes, leaderboard for on-demand classes, leaderboard that shows people’s presence, and filtering on the leaderboard.
- Drive for and iterate on improvements for scalability and product functionality.
- Have a strong technical voice in team discussions and decisions. Focus on the whole team’s productivity and strive to increase the impact of the team’s work product.
- Lead architecture meetings and technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus and best practice solutions.
- Drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, and impacts to product experience.
- Assume technical responsibility for new services and functionality, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, and work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Identify and lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, and performant applications.
- Contribute to the adoption of software architecture and new technologies.
- Lead by example to actively maintain and build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust.
- Lead, coach, pair with, and mentor backend software engineers.
- Nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and sharing of industry best practices.
- Engage effectively in code and design reviews to help maintain a high coding and design standard, improve code quality, and align on appropriate architecture choices.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Engineering, Product, Design, Program Management in order to deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects into milestones and identifying risks and dependencies.
- Lead the team in defining technical requirements and solutions and drive projects through to completion.
- Break down tasks for other engineers and offer guidance to other engineers on the team when they are blocked.
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality.
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- At least 2 years being a tech lead of a group of 3+ software engineers.
- Good active listening skills, the ability to empathize with stakeholders and other engineers.
- Experience working using Agile methodology in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done.
- Experience mentoring engineers with the team-focused mentality for success.
- Demonstrable experience scaling large scale applications.
- Proficient with multiple programming languages, including but not limited to: Python, Java, Kotlin, Go, C++, C.
- Strong understanding of the following:
- Software engineering principles and fundamentals including data structures and algorithms.
- Concurrency and threading, operating system internals, and networking.
- Request processing, caching, queuing, data storage, partitioning, and replication
- Extensive Experience in the following areas:
- Request Processing: Restful API endpoint design principles; Load balancing concepts; Communication and RPC protocols such as HTTP, TCP, gRPC.
- Caching: Memcache, Redis
- Relational Database: Postgres, MySQL
- NoSQL Database: Cassandra, Dynamodb, Mongodb, etc
- Monitoring/Tracing/Profiling: Monitoring tools such as Datadog, Tracing tools such as Zipkin or Datadog APM
- Deploy platforms and tooling: Jenkins, Kubernetes, AWS
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) and based in our New York City HQ once safe to re-open the office.
Peloton is the largest interactive fitness platform in the world with a loyal community of more than 2.6 million Members. The company pioneered connected, technology-enabled fitness, and the streaming of immersive, instructor-led boutique classes for its Members anytime, anywhere. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that encourage its Members to be the best versions of themselves. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton has reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, and world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, creating a product that its Members love.
The brand's immersive content is accessible through the Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread, and Peloton App, which allows access to a full slate of fitness classes across disciplines, on any iOS or Android device, Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast and Android TV. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City, Peloton has a growing number of retail showrooms across the US, UK, Canada and Germany. For more information, visit www.onepeloton.com.
Back to top