The Tower Foreman leads tower crews in the construction, installation, and maintenance of telecommunication towers and supporting structures.
- Directing the completion of assigned projects, coordinating with area offices and suppliers and maintaining safe worksites and continuously trains all crew members.
- Responsible for general tower and ground maintenance that includes inspection, reporting and correct any unsafe items within scope of work, general housekeeping. If major repairs are needed, finding must be reported back to tower owner.
- Responsible for safety climb repair/replacement that includes inspection, reporting and correct any unsafe items within scope of work, general housekeeping. If major repairs are needed, finding must be reported back to tower owner, tag out tower)
- Foreman has the responsibility and knowledge to remove any tower member/hardware and either replace or install new tower members/hardware and instruct and or train tower hands.
- Responsible for any foundation repair to above grade remediation to minor chips and cracks.
- Foreman will have the responsibility and knowledge of standard grounding requirements, both on the tower and ground (civil) meaning in the shelter or in the outdoor cabinet of the carrier' s equipment. Knowledge on installing the correct ground lug, lock washers and bolts.
- Ability to plumb antennas once installed on the tower/booms/mounts etc. Perform required Sweep/PIM tests, read and produce test results.
- Certified Competent Climber and must be certified and hold certification on them at all times while on site.
- Foreman should have knowledge and experience in rigging any tower and be able to guide and train tower hands to do the same.
- Knowledge in stacking, dropping and decommissioning towers and in erecting new tower i.e. self-support, guyed, monopoles as well as dropping old towers and decommissioning of antennas/lines/TMA' s/RRUS etc.
- Foundation Construction Managerial responsibility for ordering drill rig/steel/concrete etc.
Recommended Minimum Job Requirements:
- Certified Tower Climber - can be via Gravitec Systems, Inc. or Comtrain Tower climbing and Rescue certification.
- Anritsu and Viavi certifications a plus.
- PIM test knowledge a plus.
- Minimum 3 years tower climbing experience and 2 years of lead/foreman experience
Recommended Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to perform tower installations from foundation to erection of lattice towers, monopoles, guyed towers. Installations of mounts, cables, and antennas on towers and rooftops.
- Experience in completing full grounding installations, tower demolition, tower stripping and painting erect and horizontal.
- Troubleshoot and fix connectors and Antenna systems.
- Must be able to sweep test, read sweeps, convert DAT files to PDF.
- Anritsu and Viavi certifications a plus.
- Must be able to fiber test and generate reports. ODM and JDSU certifications and knowledge a plus.
- PIM testing a plus.
- Must be able to use AAT (Antenna Alignment Tool) either Sunsight or Z3.
- Must be familiar with COP requirements.
- Must be able to read and redline CD' s, RFDS' s and Structural Analysis' s.
- Install coaxial cable on towers, rooftops - any structure.
- UMTS upgrades
- Needs to have Lead experience of climbers and crew
- Ability to climb daily
- Basic computer and phone app usage skills
- Ability to become a certified in-house trainer
- Ability to obtain a qualified rigger certification.
- Must have a valid Driver' s License
- Must be willing to travel 75-100% of the time
- Must be willing to work weekends when needed
- Ability to hear, understand and respond appropriately to verbal requests made in person and over the telephone
- Visual ability correctable to 20/20
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle
- Work in both indoor and outdoor weather conditions
- Mental agility to work at heights comfortably
- Standing ninety percent of the day
- Ability to stoop and bend
- Ability to reach and stretch
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
- Ability to lift and pull own body weight plus equipment weight up a vertical tower
- Ability to walk, stand and bend
- Ability to climb 180 to 350 feet
- Ability to work on job site in remote location for extended periods of time
Back to top