Acting as the technical lead for assigned projects, the project engineer is responsible for the technical execution and performance of assigned projects from concept through production. Based on customer requirements, the project engineer works to establish and maintain the technical baseline, to include system requirements, system architecture, and allocated baseline requirements. The project engineer is expected to work with the PM and all other functional disciplines to define the project' s schedule, which outlines the technical tasks (requirements analysis, design, integration, verification, production, etc), milestones (SFR, PDR, CDR, TRR, etc), and required resources/staffing to successfully execute the project. Throughout the execution of the project, the project engineer stipulates compliance with corporate and systems engineering processes, coordinates actives across disciplines, oversees the execution of gate reviews, monitors and reports progress against baseline schedule, identifies and acts to resolve issues/risks in order to minimize their impact on program execution/success. It is important that the candidate be able work independently, exercising critical decision authority based on best available data, and collaboratively to understand and direct work of technical staff. May supervise engineers, drafters, and/or technicians on a project basis.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages overall technical execution of program
- Clearly defines and relays the program' s goals and objectives to technical staff and management
- Coordinates and leads the activities of technical staff
- Oversees activities to establish and maintain technical baseline
- Leads analysis activities to define system requirements, architecture, and allocated baseline to subsystem and component levels
- Works with PM to ensure baseline meets customer needs and is within contract scope
- Ensures design and analysis actives are performed against approved baseline
- Enforces change control through established CCB
- Works with PM to create program schedule and WBS
- Establish milestones and deliverables (required gates, technical reviews, CDRLs, etc); may require tailoring of exiting processes
- Define tasks required to accomplish milestones and deliverables
- Identify staffing required to accomplish tasks (resource loaded schedule with appropriate skillsets and SMEs identified)
- Oversees gate and design reviews for assigned project(s)
- Coordinates with stakeholders
- Ensures quality of material and maturity of system meets expectations
- Coordinates closure of actions items and closeout of gate review
- Establishes program controls
- Maintains metrics to track performance of project
- Maintains project' s risk(s) metrics and performs technical risk management activities
- Provides reports and briefings to upper management and customer regarding status of project
- Responsible for quality of end product and verification against approved baseline
- Support engineering activities for proposal efforts
- Monitor, mentor, and train less experienced systems engineers
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Four-year college degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related technical discipline, plus five years of related experience, or an applicable Master' s degree with three years of related experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the project engineering role performing requirements derivation/analysis and leading technical efforts to develop, test, and deliver systems which meet customer requirements.
- Experience developing system(s) through the systems engineering process. Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to use personal computer software such as spreadsheets and word processing programs and requirement management database tool.
- Experience with PLM tools, such as ARAS, is highly desirable. Mental ability to perform engineering problem solving and analytical tasks.
- Must be able to work under project deadlines and associated cost and schedule constraints.
- Must be able to obtain a Security Clearance, if necessary.
Back to top