Mechanical Facilities (HVAC) Design Engineer
ME Facilities HVAC Engineer with required experience with gloveboxes.
Mechanical Engineer - HVAC Design Overview & Introduction:
Our clients Nuclear Services & Technology team provides full service nuclear design solutions to the federal government (DOE, NNSA and NIST), nuclear research, nuclear medicine, and the commercial nuclear power industries. We are is seeking a highly motivated, team oriented Mechanical Engineer to support our operations in our growing Los Alamos, NM office
The ideal candidate will have a passion for Mechanical HVAC and Facility Plumbing/Piping system design, be able and willing to perform CAD as well as engineering, be nimble in accepting a wide range of assignments, both nuclear and non-nuclear, and enjoy a team design environment.
- The engineer will design HVAC and Plumbing/Piping systems for a variety of facility projects.
- Work typically includes support of project proposals; design calculations; developing process flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams, and sequences of operations; selection and layout of mechanical equipment and associated duct and piping systems for glovebox systems; and developing mechanical construction and equipment specifications, test and inspection plans, and system design descriptions.
- The engineer will typically work in a design team environment consisting of a project manager, project engineer, and multi-discipline architectural and engineering staff to produce project design packages of drawings, specifications, and calculations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports development of project proposals. Develops scopes and budget estimates for mechanical discipline work. Assists in development of project schedules.
- Responsible for planning, conducting and coordinating detailed phases of design work.
- Independently evaluates, selects and applies standard techniques, procedures and criteria to perform a task or sequence of tasks for conventional projects with few complex features.
- Collaboratively uses judgment to determine adaptations in methods for non-routine aspects of assignments.
- Works on multiple projects of moderate size or portions of major projects.
- Receives guidance when necessary on unconventional and/or complex problems, direction on modified techniques and new approaches on assignments with conflicting criteria.
- Assigns tasks to and coordinates work with engineers, designers, and administrative staff.
- Attends project meetings and presents specific aspects of engineering assignment.
- Presents design reviews to clients.
- Bachelor' s degree (B.S.) in Mechanical Engineering from an A.B.E.T. accredited program.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience in Mechanical Facilities HVAC and plumbing/piping systems.
- Previous experience with nuclear facility design and engineering, primarily gloveboxes is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with DOE or NNSA projects is a plus.
- P.E. (Professional Engineer) license is strongly preferred.
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to obtain a New Mexico P.E. license within 6 months is strongly preferred. Ability to obtain licenses for other states.
- Experience in HVAC and plumbing/piping systems design and associated engineering calculations (e.g. Air-handling systems, laboratory fume hood exhaust air systems, duct systems, heating and chilled water hydronic piping systems, natural gas piping systems, domestic water and waste water piping systems, steam and condensate piping systems, compressed air systems, and mechanical system controls).
- Experience sizing and selecting HVAC and plumbing/piping equipment (e.g. air-handling units, fans/blowers, pumps, cooling towers, chillers, boilers, coils, HEPA filtration systems, dampers, valves, and controls).
- Proficient in editing and writing mechanical construction and equipment specifications.
- Experience performing engineering quality assurance checks of project designs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience using HVAC computer load and design programs such as Trane Trace software.
- Working knowledge of ASHRAE standards.
- Working knowledge of UMC, UPC, and ASME B31 codes.
- Familiar with SMACNA standards.
- Familiar with NFPA standards.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and Revit building information modeling software is strongly preferred.
- Relocation will be considered.
Meet Some of PEAK Technical Staffing's Employees
Beau P.Lead Staffing Manager
Beau makes sure that recruitment job orders are always properly and perfectly filled by finding first-class candidates to fit open positions for clients.
Back to top