Senior Editor (636-858)
Reports to: Associate Director, Content Development
The Senior Editor works closely with PCORI staff and independent contractors to develop feature stories, blog posts, slide sets, technical and nontechnical reports, and other editorial products in print and digital formats for professional and lay audiences. The Senior Editor manages development, substantive editing, content review, copyediting, design, and production of content to assure timely, high-quality products delivered within budget and style guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write/develop articles, reports, briefs, and other editorial products on health research and related topics for professional and consumer audiences.
- Review, edit, and polish materials developed by PCORI staff, freelancers, and others.
- Oversee technical review, editorial review, and copyediting processes, ensuring clarity, scientific accuracy, and adherence to Chicago and PCORI style guidelines, and prepare manuscripts for design and production.
- Manage content development, editing, and review processes to ensure timely flow of high-quality content.
- Contribute to updating, maintenance, and application of PCORI style guidelines.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including developmental editing, copyediting, and line editing.
- Ability to shape and improve content for multiple target audiences and repackage material for multiple uses.
- Experience collaborating with senior scientists/clinicians to develop, edit, review, and finalize research-based articles and reports.
- Experience writing about research for a lay audience.
- Detailed knowledge of and experience with style guides; experience with Chicago style preferred.
- Experience with online editorial processing systems.
- Excellent organizational and content management skills, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Proven ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, perform well under pressure, and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Clear, concise, and effective oral and written communications skills.
- Bachelor's degree; advanced degree a plus. Specialization in Publishing, Communications, English, Journalism, or related field strongly preferred.
- At least eight years of experience writing and editing scientific, medical/health, or technical communications for professional, academic, and consumer audiences.
- Specialization in writing about health, health care, health research, health policy, or a related field strongly preferred.
Job LocationWashington, District of Columbia, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
Meet Some of PCORI's Employees
Michael manages PCORI’s Accounts Payable Department. Together with his team of three, Michael ensures everyone, from employees and research partners to utility companies, gets paid on time.
Back to top