Senior Clinical Advisor (635-858)
Reports to: Chief Engagement and Dissemination Officer
The Senior Clinical Advisor for Communications, Dissemination, and Implementation (hereafter, Senior Clinical Advisor) is a key member of the PCORI senior team, reporting to the Chief Engagement and Dissemination Officer and working in close cooperation with colleagues including Program Directors in PCORI's Engagement, Dissemination, Communications, and Science Departments, and with the Chief Science Officer and Executive Director. The Senior Clinical Advisor is a leader in the field of outcomes and effectiveness research, with broad knowledge of the clinical areas in which PCORI funds comparative effectiveness research and the scientific and analytical methods employed in this research. Further, the Senior Clinical Advisor has at least minimum experience and familiarity with the areas of communications, dissemination of evidence, public and patient engagement, decisional and implementation science, and epidemiology. The Senior Clinical Advisor will provide expert advice on the interpretation and application of PCORI research findings to different models of communication, dissemination, implementation, and shared decision making. The Senior Clinical Advisor will work closely with the Directors of Communication, Public Policy and Government Relations, Public and Patient Engagement, Engagement Awards, and Dissemination and Implementation to complement and support their work to promote the use of PCORI research findings. The incumbent is responsible for collaborating with Program Directors as they establish and maintain innovative approaches to providing, facilitating and creating opportunities to enhance the interpretation of PCORI research findings, their translation, and use in shared decision making and to measure its impact. The position is located in Washington, DC.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and guidance regarding the interpretation, priority, and relevance of PCORI-funded research findings from a clinical perspective and with consideration of strengths and limitations of completed studies.
- Assist with placing PCORI research findings in the context of the broader body of evidence related to specific findings, through familiarity with the clinical literature and ability to access relevant systematic evidence reviews.
- Serve as a consultant to dissemination projects for specific topics, to advise on framing and content appropriate for clinician and patient audiences and to support shared decisions and other mechanisms for encouraging the use of PCORI findings in practice.
- Provide expertise to support the interpretation and dissemination of findings from PCORI Methods studies including patient reported outcomes and modeling.
- Function as part of the senior leadership team of the Engagement, Communication, and Dissemination and Implementation Department and help set strategic goals and outcomes consistent with the direction of the Board of Governors and PCORI's authorizing law.
- Provide strategic and methodological collaboration in the design and evaluation of the impact of PCORI's dissemination and implementation activities
- Collaborates with PCORI's evaluation team and provides scientific and clinical oversight and knowledge.
- Collaborates with colleagues on activities to project or model future impact of PCORI research findings.
- Prepares peer-reviewed journal manuscripts with colleagues on the impact of PCORI's research findings.
- Speaks internally and externally to provide a broad clinical perspective on the impact of PCORI's research portfolio as well as specific findings and their application in practice.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Broad clinical expertise covering all areas of PCORI-funded research.
- Well-developed skills and understanding of outcomes and effectiveness research and epidemiology.
- Familiarity with research and evaluation methods.
- Well-developed understanding of clinical and other decision contexts, including decisional needs of the clinician, payer, purchaser, and patient community (including consumers, patients' family members, caregivers and patient advocates).
- Very knowledgeable about broad clinical issues facing patients and clinicians, including different clinical conditions and interventions.
- Knowledgeable about the science of decision making, including shared decision making across the spectrum of preference sensitive conditions.
- Extensive experience in communication of sensitive and complex information, including latest theory and techniques for communication of complex clinical information.
- Ability to see the big picture, balance priorities and remain flexible in a high-visibility environment.
- Creative and innovative self-starter with close attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple programs.
- Excellent negotiation, facilitation, mediation, and speaking skills.
- Experience working with or managing governing boards and committees.
- Strong knowledge in computer skills including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Advanced terminal clinical degree and 10+ years of experience in medicine, nursing, or pharmacy.
- Advanced training in clinical research and/or epidemiology and 10+ years of progressive experience in research and evaluation.
- Advanced training in communication, dissemination, and/or implementation science.
- Demonstrated progressive experience working in complex organizations.
- Demonstrated progressive experience working with researchers and end-users of research.
Job LocationWashington, District of Columbia, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
Meet Some of PCORI's Employees
Michael manages PCORI’s Accounts Payable Department. Together with his team of three, Michael ensures everyone, from employees and research partners to utility companies, gets paid on time.
Back to top