Operations Manager, Communications (605-858)
Department: Engagement, Communications
Reports to: Director of Communications
The Operations Manager works with the Director of Communications, Communications managers, the Deputy Chief Engagement and Dissemination Officer, the Chief Engagement and Dissemination Officer, and other PCORI staff as required to oversee all aspects of communications operations, including development, implementation and refinement of production, workflow and project management systems; driving cross-functional, cross-team collaborations and special projects; and managing workplan development, budgeting and resource allocation. Ensures consistency in operational effectiveness and efficiency, supports professionalism, and advances departmental and overall organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Works with the Communications Director and Directors and staff on the Engagement and Dissemination & Implementation teams to:
- Develop and refine infrastructure, systems, and processes that ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency for the Communication team in meeting or exceeding organizational goals.
- Oversee organization, analysis, and presentation of Communications-related information to staff, external audiences, the Board and its committees, in a variety of formats (eg, fact sheets, slides. memos), with a particular focus on systems and tools designed to track performance and progress against departmental and organizational goals.
- Manage planning, implementation, support and evaluation of cross-cutting projects, coordinating activities with internal departments and external consultants as needed. Examples include events and other activities designed to support PCORI's thought leadership activities, especially PCORI's Annual Meeting and presence at major professional meetings, and the operations of PCORI's Scientific Publications Working Group.
- Develop and manage department budget and associated workplan; track performance against budget goals.
- Update PCORI's strategic communications plan and related work plans.
- Serve as the Communications team's primary point of contact, and represent the Director as needed, in operational matters involving other teams across the organization.
- Run and manage agenda and project timelines for cross-functional Communications team efforts.
- Monitor timelines and deliverables for Communications contracts and external consultants.
- Oversee project management and administrative staff.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Analysis and Problem Solving:Demonstrated ability to identify and take charge of opportunities for improvement and design innovative approaches backed by strong analysis and planning.
- Operational Execution: Strong project management skills, sense of responsibility and accountability, and ability to effectively multi-task. Clear ability to lead complex projects requiring the consideration of multiple variables. Keen attention to detail.
- Partnership and Relationship Building:Exudes professionalism, exhibits intercultural knowledge and appreciation, and experienced with strategic partnership building.
- People Management. Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor and motivate staff and effectively manage selection and oversight of contractors.
- Teamwork and Integration: Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to demonstrate and encourage inclusiveness, collaboration, and respect. Willingness to learn.
- Initiative, resiliance and adaptability. Ability to adapt quickly to changing and competing priorities and complex tasks with minimal direction.
- Strong sense of accountability, sensitivity to organizational issues and concerns, and ability to work closely and effectively with senior management across departments.
- Communication:Strong interpersonal and communication abilities; exceptional listening, written, and verbal skills.
- Technical expertise. Deep expertise in Microsoft Office and additional software tools as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field required; master's degree (e.g., MA, MS, MBA) preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of experience managing projects and coordinating internal and external activities in a complex, fast-paced work environment.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years experience in developing complex workplans and budgets, and in managing operations/administrative staff, required.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) training strongly preferred; PMP certification a plus.
- Experience with project management, budgeting and related operations software tools required.
- Experience with planning and overseeing large, multi-day professional conferences featuring multi-track programming required.
Job LocationWashington, District of Columbia, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
Meet Some of PCORI's Employees
Michael manages PCORI’s Accounts Payable Department. Together with his team of three, Michael ensures everyone, from employees and research partners to utility companies, gets paid on time.
Back to top