Internal Communications Manager
- Washington, DC
To be considered for this role, please submit a cover letter and writing sample with your application
Internal Communications Manager
As the lead for internal communications at the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), you will work with organizational leaders, the communications team, and key internal stakeholders to inform and engage employees, shape culture, connect employees, and create a shared understanding of our vision and priorities. PCORI is a nonprofit organization that funds health research that offers patients and caregivers the information they need to make important healthcare decisions.
Over the next year, we anticipate that you will primarily focus on:
You will work across the organization to understand upcoming initiatives, changes in policies, and other internal matters. You will draft key content, FAQs, and other support materials for internal communications and use data and analytic tools to measure and report on communication programs. This is an exciting time to join PCORI as we are working on a new strategic plan for the future and you will have the support of our new executive director and the tools in place to launch a cohesive internal communications strategy. In addition to new and ongoing initiatives, there will be a high need for communications around our return-to-office plans.
Patients, their families, and clinicians face a wide range of complex and often confusing choices when it comes to addressing their health and healthcare concerns. They need trustworthy information to decide which option is best for them. PCORI was established to help address these challenges. Our job is to close the gaps in evidence needed to improve key health outcomes by funding research designed to improve patient care and outcomes through patient-centered comparative clinical effectiveness research (CER). The research we fund is guided by our five National Priorities for Research and Research Agenda . The work under these priorities is managed by our scientific and engagement programs , which track and evaluate effectiveness.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Great communicator. You have excellent oral and written communication skills. Your writing skills are impeccable. You have high standards for accuracy, quality, responsiveness, integrity, and discretion.
- Team player. You work as an integral part of a team that works and wins together. You are articulate, persuasive, and willing to listen to and respect the views of others, confidently engaging with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations. You collaborate on projects and communicate results.
- Flexible. You are comfortable working in a fluid environment and can make adjustments in both day-to-day and larger-scale activities based on new information and situations.
- Partnership. You know how to build trust internally and externally. You are viewed as professional and accountable. You discreetly address confidential, sensitive, and delicate assignments.
- Project manager. You set priorities wisely, adroitly juggle multiple projects and tasks, allocate and optimize resources, reduce risks, manage timelines, and get the work done.
What's Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- Working here, you will have the opportunity to influence the quality of healthcare afforded to every American. PCORI researchers have had great success in the national effort to improve patient-centered outcomes and provide research evidence to assist patients, caregivers, clinicians, and others to make informed healthcare decisions.
- This is a unique role where you will get to build the internal communications function, work directly with the new executive director, and support our maturing organization.
- With Congressional reauthorization in 2010 and supported by dozens of healthcare stakeholders, we are a financially secure and dynamic organization that is expanding as we pursue a bold vision.
- We offer an excellent compensation package including medical, dental, and vision insurance; long-term and short-term disability; 401(a) plan; life insurance; and more.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree or a combination of education and requisite experience and at least seven years of related internal communications work experience is required. Knowledge or background in health, healthcare, and or health research is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in creating strategies and plans that successfully engage employees with a diverse range of technical expertise and backgrounds and enhance cohesiveness, collaboration, and mission support across a workforce.
- Experience in working with senior executives to translate institutional objectives and imperatives into communications that will resonate with staff across the institution.
- Ability to effectively gain buy-in from staff on adopting new tools for and approaches to communications.
- Extensive experience optimizing the use of internal communication platforms, including Constant Contact, SharePoint, and Microsoft Teams as well as others.
- Experience using data and analytic tools to measure and regularly report on the effectiveness of employee communications programs.
PCORI is partnering with Staffing Advisors on this job search. To apply, simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with "PCORI – Internal Communications Manager #2021-2616 CW" as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Job Location Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Back to top