Director, Data Management and Operations Support
Department: Data Management and Operations Support
Reports to: Chief Program Support Officer
The Director, Data Management and Operations Support (DMOS) under guidance of the Chief, Program Support and Information Management (PSIM), plans and implements PCORI's funding policies and the enhancement of extramural funding related business process. In collaboration with Senior Program Manager, Extramural Research Enterprise System and Data Management, PSIM, as well as business program leads across all PCORI Departments, the Director is responsible for the quality control of daily operational data in support of PSIM's main business functions in Merit Review, Contract Management and the extramural funding operations related to the activities throughout the award process life-cycle. The Director leads the extramural funding process improvement and business process management activities through cross-departmental collaboration.
The Director is a strategic key member who will ensure the effective coordination across the two business line units – Merit Review and Contract Management – in PSIM to fully integrate PCORI's extramural funding business process with the PCORI Online System workflow. The Director supervises the two DMOS Assistant Directors and in collaboration with IT ensures all system issues and internal/external user needs are managed and communicated in a timely manner. Additionally, the Director in collaboration with the Senior Program Manager, Extramural Research, PSIM, supports the entire spectrum of extramural funding activities and facilitates the enhancement of PCORI Online system functionality.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under guidance of the Chief, PSIM, leverages existing enterprise system environment to optimize data capacity in daily operations, and enhances business process and workflow by improving the quality of, and access to, enterprise data in merit review and contract management activities;
- Develops data management and operations support capacity in PSIM's daily extramural funding support functions and through effective coordination with programs and operations, to provide timely and reliable system and user support in addressing data integrity requirements;
- In collaboration with Senior Merit Review Officer and Senior Program Managers, Contract Management, leads the development and refinement of mission-critical dashboard metrics and performance measures as they pertain to extramural funding business processes in support of management and operations decision making;
- Works closely with PSIM management team and staff to identify the strategic needs and business questions as they pertain to the development and improvement of PCORI's extramural funding policies, scientific integrity and decisional transparency, contract requirements, consistent business processes, and efficient operations workflow;
- Leads efforts to understand business process gaps through the entire life cycle and spectrum of extramural funding activities, to develop strategies and plans in managing risk and remediation;
- Directs key business process improvement projects and demonstrates leadership in application of Business Process Improvement methodologies;
- Facilitates integration of business process improvement thinking/understanding in all areas;
- Leads initiatives across PCORI to replicate improvements and leverage best practices, and utilizes current processes maps to recommend improved, strategic, measurable and sustainable solutions as well as identify further opportunities for improvement;
- Establishes strong working relationships to influence and facilitate collaboration across departmental boundaries;
- Provides management oversight for the coordination between PSIM and IT for identifying and resolving any system and user needs, including security needs and concerns;
- Guides the DMOS team leads to manage the development and updates of training resources on PCORI Online and ZenDesk for external users and internal staff;
- Oversees collaboration with Merit Review and Engagement to provide system and user support for applicant training and reviewer training both online and in-person;
- Leads and manages special projects, cross-functional and strategic initiatives, both internally and externally to the applicant, awardee and stakeholder communities;
- Works closely with DMOS Assistant Directors to provide daily supervision and performance management to DMOS team members;
- Ensures proper management of PCORI systems user accounts and efficient management of ZenDesk/PCORI Help Desk and Call Center to address applicant/reviewer questions and coordinate necessary repairs;
- Manages team to improve performance and streamline operations
- Ensures performance metrics for customer service and overall responsiveness are achieved by the team;
- Motivates team members and discovers training needs and provide coaching
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
*PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Proven ability to lead people, manage conflict, and build cross-functional teams
- Technical acumen in extramural research funding business process and in systems and users support as they relate to extramural funding operations
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to lead change through strategic planning, innovation, and communications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as qualitative and/or quantitative analytical skills
- Strong computer skills, including database expertise and proficiency in Microsoft® Office programs, with an emphasis on PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask effectively to manage time of self and others and meet goals and deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of extramural funding policies and practices, e.g., pre-award review and post-award management systems and principles
- BA/BS and at least 7 years of related professional experience; MA, MS, MPA, MPH, MBA, or equivalent Masters-level education and at least 5 years of related professional experience preferred
- Progressive responsibility and experience in managing staff at different levels of their careers
- Experience in the extramural research funding institutions and scientific or healthcare research environment highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience implementing continuous process improvement
Job Location Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Meet Some of PCORI's Employees
Michael manages PCORI’s Accounts Payable Department. Together with his team of three, Michael ensures everyone, from employees and research partners to utility companies, gets paid on time.
Back to top