Associate General Counsel
- Washington, DC
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute ("PCORI") has exclusively retained Major, Lindsey & Africa ("MLA") to conduct a search for an Associate General Counsel to be located in Washington, DC. Please submit your resume (in MS Word) to PCORI_AGC@mlaglobal.com or to the MLA recruiter who contacted you about this position. Please do not contact the company directly; all resumes sent to PCORI will be routed to MLA for handling and will create delays.
Department: Office of the General Counsel
Reports to: General Counsel
PCORI is a non-profit organization that funds comparative clinical effectiveness research to help patients choose healthcare options that best meet their needs. Its mandate is to improve the quality and relevance of the evidence available and produce reliable, useful information that will help patients, family caregivers and other members of the healthcare community make better-informed health and healthcare decisions.
The Associate General Counsel ("AGC") will provide legal advice to PCORI with a focus on intellectual property and corporate issues that arise relating to PCORI's status and relating to PCORI's funding initiatives and programmatic and operational activities. This attorney will advise on legal approaches and strategies to enhance the public availability and dissemination of content and information in multiple media forms about research and other projects funded by PCORI, of PCORI-developed content, and about PCORI and its mission and initiatives. The AGC will advise on protecting and licensing of PCORI's trademarks. The AGC will work with the General Counsel on corporate and governance matters relating to PCORI.
The AGC will work independently and directly with executive and senior professionals in multiple PCORI departments, including dissemination, engagement, science, communications, information technology, and other programmatic and operational professionals. In addition, the AGC will work collaboratively with other members of the Office of the General Counsel and Executive Office and report to the General Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as primary legal counsel in the Office of the General Counsel on intellectual property issues, including advancing PCORI's intellectual property framework to facilitate dissemination of PCORI content in multiple media and content about PCORI-funded research and other projects.
- Serve as primary legal counsel in the Office of the General Counsel on intellectual property issues that arise in PCORI's programmatic contracts with awardee institutions, in operational contracts with third party vendors and consultants, and in PCORI's use and dissemination of intellectual property of third parties.
- Serve as primary legal counsel in Office of the General Counsel on trademark matters, including maintaining PCORI's framework for controlling use of its trademarks, addressing legal issues relating to licensing of trademarks, and serving as lead OGC attorney managing outside counsel's work on PCORI's trademark docket.
- Work with the General Counsel on corporate and governance issues, including PCORI's corporate status under federal and local laws, developing, updating, and maintaining PCORI's governance framework relating to the roles and authorities of the Board, Committees, Officers, and Executive staff, delegation of authority, and key governance documents and policies and on conflict of interest matters.
- Advise on how PCORI can accomplish organization-wide priorities with legally-grounded approaches, including how to strategically and effectively fund, monitor, and disseminate findings from patient-centered, comparative clinical effectiveness research and other programmatic activities.
- Manage outside counsel's work, particularly in areas relating to intellectual property, corporate and governance matters, and conflict of interest, as determined by the General Counsel.
- Provide general in-house counsel legal advice on other matters, including contractual and award matters, corporate financial and insurance matters, policies and procedures, and employment related matters.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
*PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
- Mission-driven and passionate about patient-centered research.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate complex legal principles to other professionals.
- Strong client service work ethic.
- Maturity of judgment, unquestioned integrity and ethics.
- Demonstrated track record of being a team-player and collaborative.
- Intellectually nimble thinker and highly adaptable.
- Ability to work efficiently and with a sense of urgency in a time sensitive environment.
- Work with little direction and handle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- J.D. and undergraduate school degrees with strong credentials and educational performance.
- Must hold a license to practice law in Washington, DC or eligible for admission within the first year of employment at PCORI.
- Minimum of six (6) years of legal experience.
- Experience from a law firm, or a combination of law firm training and in-house experience, that demonstrates the ability to consider complex legal issues and provide high quality and well-grounded legal advice that supports clients' goals.
- Experience representing the following as internal or external counsel: life sciences companies, academic medical centers, health systems, or health plans.
- Experience working directly with clients and leading or coordinating legal advice to clients on projects.
- Subject matter expertise in intellectual property required. Ideal candidates will have experience with trademarks, licensing agreements, and Creative Common licenses.
- Experience with corporate transactions and health care or health research expected.
- Experience with corporate governance issues preferred.
Please submit resumes to the attention of Deborah Ben-Canaan and Christie Babinski via email to: PCORI_AGC@mlaglobal.com . No phone calls please.
Job Location Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Back to top