Associate Director, Public Policy
Department: Public Policy
Reports to: Director, Public Policy and Government Relations
The Associate Director, Public Policy supports the Director for Public Policy and Government Relations, Chief Engagement and Dissemination Officer, and the PCORI Board of Governors and executives in representing PCORI with Congress, including members, committee staff and legislative staff. This individual will support the development and implementation of PCORI's strategic plan related to reauthorization. In addition, the Associate Director, Public Policy will work with the Director to provide the PCORI executive team with advice on pending issues that could affect PCORI's future work. The Associate Director will support PCORI's efforts in building and maintaining relationships with policymakers, agencies, and officials at all levels of government to increase their understanding of, and support for, PCORI's mission and strategic goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and conduct outreach efforts to Congressional staff and external policymakers.
o Work with the Director, Public Policy and Government Relations to identify strategic opportunities for outreach to targeted policymakers.
o Coordinate and participate in PCORI meetings with policymakers within Congress and the Administration.
o Develop documents and materials to support internal and external communication of PCORI priorities.
o In partnership with the Directors of Public Policy and Public and Patient Engagement, work to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and organizations.
- Build on PCORI's public policy profile and portfolio.
o Continue efforts to increase PCORI's profile and role on key public policy issues, including the advancement of evidence-based medicine and support for key federal programs and policies.
o Lead efforts to translate the value of PCORI research results, both from a broad portfolio and individual study perspective, to key policymakers and stakeholders.
o Build and maintain relationships with thought-leaders, policymakers, and influencers to further advance PCORI's engagement on relevant policy issues and discussions.
- Support PCORI's strategic communication capabilities.
o Working in coordination with Communications Department and external communications consultants, identify opportunities to advance PCORI's strategic communications and messages.
o Represent, and support colleagues in the representation of, PCORI publicly regarding the role and value of PCORI.
o Support efforts to translate and communicate the state of PCORI's work as it evolves to different audiences with unique expertise and priorities.
- Represent the Office of the Chief Engagement and Dissemination Office and Public Policy Team to both internal and external audiences
o Collaborate with colleagues from teams across PCORI including Science, the Office of the Executive Director, Public Policy, Dissemination and Implementation, Communications, and others as necessary and appropriate.
o Support the direction of the public policy, government relations staff and actively participate in the collaboration of PCORI staff, contractors, and other colleagues in advancing PCORI's public policy agenda including but beyond the reauthorization process.
o Lead, contribute to, and participate in internal groups and teams and crosscutting initiatives.
- Keep Director and Engagement team apprised of developments and occurrences in the field that are likely to affect Engagement program decision-making and/or strategies.
- Carry out other responsibilities as assigned by PCORI management.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
*PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
• Highly effective interpersonal skills.
• A track record of successful outreach to senior-level policymakers on Capitol Hill and/or federal agencies on health care issues.
• Strong understanding of the inner-workings of the US House of Representatives and Senate, as well as federal government departments and agencies.
• Intimate knowledge of the federal policy making process on health care policy and health care legislation, with an ability to apply that knowledge to coherent outreach strategy development.
• Strong coordination and project organization skills.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to synthesize complex information into focused public policy and advocacy materials.
• Must be well organized, with great attention to detail, accuracy; able to set priorities and work with a minimum of supervision.
• Judgment, integrity, and ability to work collaboratively across teams.
• Skill with PowerPoint, Excel and Microsoft Office Products a must.
• Excellent editing, oral and written communications skills.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent and 6 – 10 years of experience in public policy and government affairs, preferably with a specific focus on health care, including several years of experience working on Capitol Hill and/or in a federal agency or several years working in a corporate government affairs function or more of job related experience. Advanced degree preferred.
• Extensive experience developing health care policy, conducting outreach and education campaigns before Congress and federal departments and agencies, and building and working with stakeholder coalitions.
Job Location Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Meet Some of PCORI's Employees
Michael R.Manager, Finance
Michael manages PCORI’s Accounts Payable Department. Together with his team of three, Michael ensures everyone, from employees and research partners to utility companies, gets paid on time.
Back to top