Associate Director, Content Development
Reports to: Director of Communications
Working with the Director of Communications, other directors on the Engagement, Communications and Dissemination and Implementation team, Science team, content experts and additional staff as appropriate, oversee PCORI's content development efforts, including planning creating, editing, reviewing and updating original and contractor-provided technical and non-technical editorial and graphic material to be used across all of PCORI's communications channels to support the organization's strategic and business goals. Manage freelance writers, editors and graphics specialists as needed to assure timely, consistent delivery of content within budget and style guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning and day-to-day management of PCORI's editorial content, production and workflow efforts and processes, managing direct reports and working with additional in-house and freelance staff as needed.
- Manage the creation, editing, quality assurance and updating of original and contractor-provided editorial and graphic content, including technical and non-technical reports, web content, documents, slide sets, journal articles, fact sheets, storytelling narratives, blogs, and other related material.
- Oversee technical and editorial review and copyediting processes, ensuring scientific accuracy and adherence to appropriate style guidelines.
- Oversee development, updating, maintenance and application of PCORI style guidelines.
- Assign and manage freelance editorial, design and production staff as needed to ensure timely flow of high-quality content, adhering to assigned budget and timelines.
- Regularly monitor look, feel, functionality, quality and production timelines for all editorial and communications products, meeting or exceeding performance goals and advising the Director of needs and opportunities for improvement.
- Work with the Director of Communications to develop and monitor adherence to performance metrics.
- Collaborate with departments and staff across PCORI to accomplish duties and responsibilities.
Cover letters are highly encouraged
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
*PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Exceptional writing/editing skills – including developmental and copyediting/line-editing – required, along with ability to shape/improve content for multiple professional and non-professional target audiences and repackage material for multiple uses.
- Expertise in use of standard style manuals (eg, AMA, Chicago, APA, AP).
- Familiarity with peer review.
- Familiarity with development of editorial graphics.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Proven ability to perform well under pressure, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Experience with developing and managing budgets.
- Clear, strong, and effective oral and written communications skills.
- Skill in plain language writing.
- Flexibility which allows the candidate to adjust to changing priorities and operate effectively in a fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Project management skills that enable the juggling of multiple tasks, allocating and optimizing resources and managing timelines.
- Customer service skills that incorporate a positive approach and the capability of handling urgent matters in an effective manner.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree strongly preferred. Specialization in publishing, communications, English, journalism or related field strongly preferred
- At least 10 years of experience in editorial/publishing, communications (including agency/advocacy-based), journalism or related field required.
- Specialization in health, health care, health policy or a related field strongly preferred; experience in a non-profit, government or academic setting a plus.
- Experience in professional/scholarly publishing strongly preferred.
- At least five years of editorial/publishing management experience, including managing staff and freelancers and developing and managing budgets, required.
- Experience with online content development and dissemination tools and channels (web site, e-newsletters, multimedia, webinars, social media, etc.) required.
- Experience with electronic production, editorial processing, online content management systems and project management tools strongly preferred.
Job Location Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Meet Some of PCORI's Employees
Michael manages PCORI’s Accounts Payable Department. Together with his team of three, Michael ensures everyone, from employees and research partners to utility companies, gets paid on time.
Back to top