Job DescriptionFueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 375 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
In this role, you will work within the Global Financial Crimes and Customer Protect organization working closely with the Global Head of Compliance Investigations. You will be responsible for managing overall Xoom Compliance teams engaged in AML operations, to ensure that activity within the PayPal system is compliant with Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism regulations and guidelines. You will be responsible for directing personnel’s’ priorities and fostering an environment where they are resilient and want to achieve their best results.
As a Senior Manager within the Global Financial Crimes Investigations team, your goal is to inspire leaders and analysts and help to effectively design, enable, and execute strategies specific to PayPal’s compliance program. Your responsibilities will be in accordance to PayPal’s Ethics and Compliance Standards, and obligations to the appropriate regulations, such as the Bank Secrecy (BSA) and USA PATRIOT Acts, and the governing authorities.
You will be required to manage Xoom Compliance Investigators and Leaders, including direct reports, and broader overall responsibility You will use data and KPI to evaluate individual performances, drive decisions and make needed adjustments. You will be expected provide guidance and input and serve as the Compliance point of contact for several other Xoom and PayPal business initiatives, including a multi-country remit. In addition, you will need to develop a deep understanding of PayPal’s operations, and lead your team to research, analyze and investigate customer activity across multiple platforms. In the course of performing the essential job duties, personnel are subjected to material which is confidential and may require review of information that some may consider offensive.
As a Senior Manager leading multiple teams of compliance professionals, it will be critical for you to stay current with policy changes, seek ways to enhance current processes and controls and related investigative tools, and maintain utmost professionalism in your interaction with our customers and regulators at all times.
As a Senior Manager, Your Responsibilities Include
- Developing a team of leaders and analysts, including providing coaching and supporting team culture and dynamics, to meet high performance standards;
- Demonstrate and at time leverage technical investigative and data analysis capabilities;
- Provide clear focus, plans and priorities when leading teams to complete time-sensitive and meticulous analyses of instances of potential Anti-Money Laundering activity and/or suspicious financial activity across multiple jurisdictions and countries, which is critical to PayPal’s fiduciary responsibility under the Bank Secrecy Act (Anti-Money Laundering rules) to effectively monitor customer’s activities with regard to detecting and reporting suspicious activity, including the predicate offenses of money laundering and terrorist financing;
- Establish relationships with other leaders and managers in other business units and support teams, throughout Risk & Platforms and the wider PayPal organization, to influence excellent information flow and feedback on the impacts of process, policy and product changes;
- Work with peer managers to leverage best practices, understand new trends and contribute to the implementation of workflow processes, tools and platform enhancement opportunities;
- Assist in the development of Departmental/Program goals and exhibit the necessary leadership to ensure such goals are achieved with an emphasis on building a best in class compliance program;
- Identify and be accountable as a change agent for significant business improvements as warranted and participate in cross-functional special projects designed to deliver outcomes with a significant business impact;
- Participate in developing the strategic direction of the GFC&CP operations program while regularly assessing and driving performance and program effectiveness with each member of your team, to review the status of the program and set short-term goals for improvements/standards as needed;
- Exercise excellent independent judgement and discretion when making decisions or recommendations in relation to each alert/case decision and investigation;
- Review and assess the work of Managers, team leaders and analysts to ensure appropriate disposition of all alerts and case on investigations.
- Ability to accurately and thoroughly assess team performance holistically and communicate the same to managers, team leaders and analysts on a regular basis, using appropriate leadership and coaching models.
- Applying analytic techniques to complex information sets in order to make logical and supported recommendations to leadership and to your direct reports on cases for reporting to Financial Crimes enforcement Network (FinCEN) and/or OFAC. Such investigation decisions are critical to PayPal’s fiduciary responsibility under the Bank Secrecy Act (Anti-Money Laundering rules) to effectively monitor customer’s activities with regard to detecting and reporting suspicious activity, including the predicate offenses of money laundering and terrorist financing;
- Using best practice coaching/developmental/inspirational practices to ensure that your team is successful in the following daily efforts:
- Conducting end-to-end and exhaustive reviews of potential illegal activity or activity in violation of the regulations or PayPal policies
- Completing a time-sensitive and meticulous analysis of each instance of potential Anti-Money Laundering activity and/or suspicious financial activity across multiple jurisdictions and countries;
- Assessment of customer profiles and large amounts of data to ensure normal and expected activity, including Acceptable Use Policy adherence and Know Your Customer efforts;
- Documenting findings in narrative style format, in the manual and automated process case management system and prepare reports to management as required
- Regularly exercising good judgement and in making decisions or recommendations in relation to case investigations and employee escalations from within your team;
- Working closely with PayPal’s People Team to utilize proper corrective action procedures as required;
- Scheduling, preparing, and leading 1:1 coaching, scheduled team learning sessions and leverage other best practices to ensure that you are driving interactive, engaging, and analyst-driven discussions based upon developmental needs of the team;
- Assessing team performance and providing feedback, development opportunities and oversight of action plans aimed at improving performance as needed
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Legal, Criminal Justice or a comparable field or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum of 6 years conducting or supervising research and investigations in a field related to CIP, Sanctions, Enhanced Due Diligence, Forensics, Law Enforcement, Fraud, Anti-Money Laundering, or Internal Audit;
- Minimum of 5 years managing a team of leaders, analysts or investigators
- Exceptional oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate and synthesize complex information or unpopular decisions accurately, concisely, quickly and credibly to all levels in the organization;
- Proven track record as an effective leader, coach and mentor of professional level employees who engages teams with a clear sense of purpose and enthusiasm;
- Ability to understand opposing points of view on highly complex issues and to negotiate and integrate different viewpoints when making tough and time-bound decisions;
- High level of professionalism, self-motivation and sense of urgency as a leader;
- Proven ability to analyze large amounts of data in order to make informed assessments and conclusions on risk;
- Ability to combine technical expertise and business understanding to create commercial benefits.
- Drive for Results
- Problem Solving
- Written Communications
- Directing Others
- Developing Direct Reports
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.