Job DescriptionAt PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives. We’re a purpose-driven company, and our beliefs are the foundation of how we conduct business every day. We’re guided by our core values of Inclusion, Innovation, Collaboration, and Wellness. Collectively, these values inspire us to work together as One Team with our customers at the center of everything we do, and to take care of ourselves, each other, and the communities in which we live and work. We challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. Join us as we enable the hopes, dreams, and ambitions of millions of people around the world.
The Sr. Software Engineer will create and lead others to create delightful experiences for our customers. This includes everything from the frontend through the backend. You will work with a team of highly collaborative Engineers following team-defined standards and practices in an Agile environment. As part of the team you will create, test, and deploy these software experiences. During the week work is accomplished through individually picking up tasks, writing code, reviewing each other’s code, and preparing it for a release. This includes coordinating with QA engineers to ensure work is well written and well tested before going live.
The Global Merchant Lending (GML) team is responsible for building PayPal’s Working Capital and Business Loan products that have already originated more than $15 Billion in funding to over 300,000 businesses. We call it “Dream Fuel”. GML products give businesses access to the capital they need, but faster and easier than traditional loans. The impact we have on our customers’ businesses is what drives us to innovate.
With us, you will enjoy designing technical solutions, working with stakeholders to ensure we develop the correct product for the job at hand. You will make key technical decisions and communicate them effectively. You will lead the implementation of those solutions in an agile environment. We have a passion for quality and writing clean, solid code that scales and performs well. We are looking for the highest levels of technical talent and programming skills, as well as a keen desire to understand our products and services to push our technology forward with respect to functionality, performance, reliability, and scalability.
You will work alongside the best and the brightest engineering talent in the industry. You need to be dynamic, collaborative, and curious as we build new experiences, improve existing products, and develop systems powering the top growth opportunity in PayPal.
As a Sr. Software Engineer you will create and lead others to create delightful experiences for our customers. This includes everything from the frontend through the backend. You will work with a team of highly collaborative Engineers following team-defined standards and practices in an Agile environment. As part of the team you will create, test, and deploy these software experiences. During the week work is accomplished through individually picking up tasks, writing code, reviewing each other’s code, and preparing it for a release. This includes coordinating with QA engineers to ensure work is well written and well tested before going live.
The successful candidate will perform the following activities:
- Develop, grow, and lead part of our high-performing software engineering organization, and be a hands-on technology expert.
- Use software development tools, techniques, and processes to design, develop and delivear robust software.
- Use Agile/Scrum methodology along with waterfall/SDLC techniques to ensure that projects are completed in alignment with scope and schedule.
- Enable and empower teams to build and deploy high-quality software on a regular and frequent basis.
- Ensure appropriate design, implementation, testing, delivery, and support of our systems.
- Drive a culture of obsession around customer focus and delivering a great online customer experience.
- Be an evangelist and driver for technology innovations.
- Use data to make decisions and help others to do the same.
- Communicate clearly with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels.
- Facilitate fun team building activities that re-enforce our culture.
- Travel a couple times each year to PayPal offices in the US.
A successful individual will have experience with (or understand of) the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related major
- 3+ years of experience leading a team of frontend website developers
- Familiar with MVC/MVP software design. Relevant technologies: Angular, React, Vue, NodeJS
- Knowledge of RESTful web services, SOA concepts and GraphQL
- Worked on projects with source control/version or package management. Relevant technologies: Github, git, npm
- Explain how the backend affects front-end experiences more than just performance. Relevant technologies: C#, TypeScript, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL
- Works on a team following Agile sprints that are customer oriented. Relevant technologies: JIRA, Confluence
- Familiar with build tools and build pipelines including continuous development (CD), continuous integration (CI), and continuous testing (CT). Relevant technologies: Github, TeamCity, Octopus, Jenkins, npm, Selenium, webdriver
- Knows about Amazon Web Services (AWS) or server hosting. Relevant technologies: EC2, S3, NodeJS, Windows/IIS, including containers such as Docker
- A benefit to understanding a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) to aid in debugging. Relevant technologies: Postman, cURL, Web Inspector, Swagger
For more than 20 years, PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 400 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying, or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.