Job DescriptionFueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 375 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
This is a senior software engineer position involving full-time hands-on development. The person is expected to work as an individual contributor and collaborate well in a scrum team of typically 6-7 engineers in size. Under circumstances, this person will be given the opportunity to stand in as a Tech Lead or have Scrum master responsibilities to deliver a project with the Team. The person is expected to be highly competent technically and domain-wise, an emerging thought leader in his/her specialty, and a role-model for junior members of the team.
- Development and testing of high-quality product features spanning multiple product domains.
- Work with engineering managers, architects, engineers & QA to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs w.r.t functionality, performance, reliability, realistic implementations schedules and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance to other software engineers.
- Identify areas of technical improvement and make detailed business cases for improvements or new areas of opportunities.
- Adhere to best of class coding and design standards.
- Ensure all deliverables adhere to the timelines, quality and performance
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently and deliver on aggressive goals individually as well as a team.
- You have a Bachelor/Master degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics or related area.
- You have 5 to 8 years of hands-on development experience, with 2 years in a scrum environment.
- You have extensively used Java, Junit, Jmeter, Maven, Git, Fortify and Sonar in development in the last three years, and have also maintained a C++ codebase (fix bugs, extend functionality) before.
- You have developed high-traffic front or backend services for a real customer-facing web site.
- You have worked in a scrum team for at least a year and practice agile methodologies faithfully.
- You have (designed and) implemented REST APIs, web services and SOA components.
- You have effectively used OO-design and design patterns in your work.
- You have developed code using SQL and NoSQL solutions.
- You have good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new technologies and adept quickly.
- You have coached junior engineers, advocated good coding practices, process adherence and continuous improvement in these areas.
- You have been in a project requiring you to effectively collaborate with remote teams across geographies and time zones.
- You have worked in a payments or finance-related industry before.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.