Job DescriptionFueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 375 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
The candidate will be part of PayPal Enterprise Data Engineering Team. The candidate will be responsible for analysis, design, coding and testing of the application code. The candidate has to interact with global cross-functional teams to address complex business requirements. The role demands the individual to possess technical skills required to perform the job in an effective manner. The individual should be self-motivated, possess creative problem-solving skills and have the ability to handle multiple projects at the same time. The candidate should have passion for data & analytics.
In this role, the individual will be part of the Enterprise Data engineering team and will be responsible for.
- Participating and collaborating with cross functional teams in the organization to understand the business requirements and to deliver solutions that can scale.
- Planning the execution of the project in an effective and efficient manner.
- Approaching the problem, taking into account all possibilities.
- Creativity and out of the box thinking is required.
- Proactively anticipating problems and appropriately communicating to the team and management in a timely manner.
- Being flexible and being able to support all functions of product life cycle when required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to deliver from coarse grained requirements
- Be a Mentor for the junior members in the organization.
- 8+ years of experience in the IT industry, Data Engineering & Technology and Big Data Engineering is preferred.
- Advanced Shell or Perl scripting experience or proficiency in any programming language like Java, Python, Scala, C, C++
- Working experience in any MPP systems, should have strong SQL programming skills
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts
- Working knowledge on Big Data, Streaming Integrations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Expertise in database programming and performance tuning techniques
- Familiar with data movement techniques and best practices to handle large volumes of data
- Experience with data warehousing architecture and data modeling best practices
- Experience with File Systems, server architectures, and distributed systems
- Strong communication skills and willingness to take initiative to contribute beyond basic responsibilities
- Working experience in an Agile methodology is highly preferred
- Knowledge of Hadoop, Spark, HBase and Hive is highly preferred
- Knowledge in MPP Databases/ Distributed systems
- Knowledge on Big data Environments and Cloud integration is a plus
- Exposure to Data Quality and Profiling tools is a plus.
- Exposure to BI tools desired, but not required (Tableau, Micro strategy, Business Objects).
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.