At PAX we strive to enhance people’s lives through exceptional cannabis experiences. Our curated set of pure full flavor pods and award-winning devices make enjoying cannabis simple and safe. For more than a decade, we have created next-generation devices that deliver enduring quality and wellness benefits through innovations in design and technology, and remain trusted by millions of consumers nationwide. We’re the #1 cannabis brand nationally with top awareness and NPS scores. Our standards allow for the safest vaporization of cannabis on the market. We are passionate about increasing well-being and joy through the power of cannabis, and we are committed to advancing opportunity through supporting social justice, access and equity in the industry.
We are incredibly excited about the tremendous growth of the cannabis industry, inspired every day by how cannabis can change lives, and fortunate for our leading position in the space. Our culture is focused on putting the consumer first, making an impact together, and also having fun along the way! Our team has helped build businesses at the intersection of consumer, technology and wellness, including Apple, Google, Tesla, Uber, GoPro, Fitbit, Constellation, Honest Company, Eaze and more. PAX is backed by leading consumer and technology investors including Tiger Global and Tao Invest, and has raised over $430MM in capital.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
As the first data scientist in our team, you’ll be leading an organizational effort toward better understanding of consumer needs, enhancing the value of our products and consumer experiences, influencing the vision and implementation of machine learning systems that power personalization, and growing and driving impact for our consumers and stakeholders. You will also be responsible for enabling different teams at PAX to make data driven decisions using our big data, analytics and business intelligence tools, and unlock product opportunities that exist within our data.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a good dose of ‘can do’ attitude and has demonstrated a track record of unlocking the opportunities within data and building machine learning models that bring positive impact to the consumer.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the PAX Lead Data Scientist, you will:
- Develop, and lead a team of top talent data scientist and analysts as we grow
- Develop, propose, and execute on data science initiatives, roadmaps, best practices, and innovations in the personalization, predictive modeling, experimentation, and machine learning space such as recommendation systems and user engagement bandits
- Partner with and influence leadership to ensure team priorities and output directly impacts company strategy, direction and growth
- Innovate and develop methodologies using data to solve unanswered questions and new business problems
- Develop deep partnerships with cross-functional teams with varying backgrounds, from highly technical to the highly creative
- Communicate effectively with and present to all levels of the organization and to technical and non-technical audiences
- Assemble large, and complex dataset and turn them into actionable insights
- Identify, design, and implement internal processes and process improvements automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability
- Create data tools for the wider organization that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader
- Evangelize the role of Big Data both internally and externally
WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN YOU:
- Masters or PhD in quantitative field
- 8 years of experience as Data Scientist or Quantitative fields with increasing responsibility and strong track record of technical competencies and business strategy, both as individual contributor and managing teams
- 2+ years of experience in building, managing, and leading a high-performing team of Data Scientist and Analysts
- Experience designing and executing data science roadmaps
- Comfort working in an agile and/or lean development environment
- Track record of delivering data products and insights, and influencing product, engineering, and business decisions
- Advanced proficiency in statistical methods, modeling, and quantitative story telling;
- Strong programming abilities in Python and/or R and writing maintainable and concise code
- Proven track record of building and optimizing machine learning pipelines and turning them into products and services
- Experience with machine learning frameworks such as Scikit-Learn, PyTorch, Annoy, Feiss, Spark MLlib
- Experience with modern big data pipelining and processing tools like Apache Airflow, Spark, RedShift or Presto;
- Solid working knowledge of SQL, relational databases, and efficient query authoring on top of large, unstructured, and partitioned dataset
- A strong ability to understand and organize data from various sources and advanced analytical skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Experience supporting consumer facing products is a strong plus
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Must be a strong, self-motivated leader that can work without supervision and able to objectively rank and prioritize development work and coordinate cross functional efforts
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
PAX LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- Competitive compensation, equity & bi-annual performance reviews
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401K plan
- Generous PTO policy
- Paid Parental Leave
- Monthly wellness reimbursement
- Cell Phone reimbursement
- Employee Purchase Program for discounted PAX devices
- Weekly catered lunch, endless snacks and beverages
- Dog Friendly HQ in the Mission District of San Francisco
- Employee Assistance Program including access to online legal support
Put Consumers First - We are here to enhance their lives. We put their needs first in everything we do. We work together to deliver unique solutions for their benefit.
Build a Community - We are active and beneficial builders of a global community. We collaborate together to support sustainability, well-being and social equity efforts—both internally and externally—to establish cannabis as a force for good.
Innovate with Passion - We are passionate about enhancing the cannabis experience by making it positive, accessible and intuitive. We set the standards, innovate for consumers and find the yes as a team.
Be the Solution and Collaborate - We work as a team to achieve winning outcomes, knowing we each individually are the solution, but can only succeed together.
Lead with Humility and Transparency - We stay open and humble in everything we do. We value learning from each other, and cultivate transparency in our culture and products.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.