Firmware Engineering Technical Lead & Manager
- San Francisco, CA
PAX Labs is an award-winning consumer technology brand with a mission to establish cannabis as a force for good. Our products set a high bar for quality and, together with the PAX App, offer unique features such as safety locking, adjustable temperature and draw control. As millions of consumers try cannabis for the first time or return to it after a long hiatus, PAX believes that quality, transparency and predictability are the keys to safe, responsible use by adults.
Headquartered in San Francisco, PAX is backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global and Tao Invest (Pritzker family fund). We are an exceptional team with hardware and software backgrounds in consumer technology, healthcare, and biotech, and are working hard to deliver on our mission. Our internal culture values diversity, integrity, having an impact, and passion for the larger movement that PAX is a part of.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking a dynamic, highly skilled, and passionate Firmware Engineer TLM. Come join a team of dedicated engineers working to solve the challenges of shipping consumer products at high volumes, while innovating in a new technology space. This role is perfect for someone who wants to build and lead teams, design new products, bring new features to shipping products, and help shape the technology Pax delivers.
We are looking for a leader who is flexible and can respond quickly/enthusiastically to changes, and inspire the team to do their best work. Cross-functional communication skills and experience are essential. The Firmware Engineering TLM will interact with all engineering design disciplines plus reliability, manufacturing, component engineering, and other resources inside and outside PAX Labs. This role is a hands-on-keyboard role that will also manage a Center of Excellence - keep the code quality bar high and ensure quality and rigorous designs. This is a management role responsible for a small and skilled team, including coaching and mentoring, performance management, and hiring.
- Drive system architectures cross-functionally, taking into account cost, space, time, and features
- Design and develop firmware for new products in a way that is maintainable, clean, and efficient
- Cross-functional organization, communication, and management
- Reporting to senior leadership on project status, issues, and developments, recommending and driving a path forward
- Add new features to shipping products, and work with the team to validate them
- Provide test fixture support for manufacturing, QA, and contract manufacturers.
- Bring up new hardware
- Troubleshoot product failures on PCBs, power supplies, and electromechanical assemblies.
- Manage a team of firmware engineers crossing multiple projects; coach and mentor the team with technical know-how, best practices, and rigorous engineering processes
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10 years of relevant experience in firmware development
- Experience writing C for embedded microcontrollers and low power connected devices.
- The ability to work in RTOS or Bare-Metal development
- Hands-on experience writing, productizing, and shipping advanced control algorithms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a clear executive presence.
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- Experience bringing up new hardware with cross-functional teams
- Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved.
- Previous projects involving sensors and control systems a plus
- Experience with networking stacks a must, previous experience shipping Bluetooth projects a strong plus
- Management aptitude is a hard requirement, prior management experience not required for the right candidate.
- 2 years people management and team building experience preferred
- International and domestic travel is expected (~15%)
- BS in Computer Engineering, ECE, Computer Science, or related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Associate’s degree with significant experience will be considered.
PAX LABS PERKS & BENEFITS
- Competitive compensation, equity & bi-annual performance reviews
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401K plan
- Generous PTO policy
- Paid Parental Leave
- Monthly wellness reimbursement
- Cell Phone reimbursement
- Employee Purchase Program for discounted PAX devices
- Weekly catered lunch, endless snacks and beverages
- Dog Friendly HQ in the Mission District of San Francisco
- Employee Assistance Program including access to online legal support
Don't let the confidence gap get in the way of applying! We'd love to hear from you.
Back to top