Strategic Business Development Manager
Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $1 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth and bring our brand’s personality to life, Patreon is looking for a Strategic Business Development Manager in our San Francisco office or Los Angeles (remote.)
With the objective of accelerating creator acquisition onto the Patreon platform at scale, we are looking for an individual to seek out and develop partnerships in the creative ecosystem in order to achieve this goal. In addition, you will have an opportunity to work directly with top-tier creators resulting from such partnerships or other referral sources (i.e., PR, marketing, Patreon creators, Jack Conte or other members of the board). You will work closely with cross-functional teams including marketing, creator success, product, finance and legal.
This role will join our Go-To-Market organization.
What you will do:
- Use a proven methodology to establish deep relationships with strategic partners including understanding their strategy, key priorities, organizational structure, value proposition and creator composition.
- Serve as the advocate for our partners within Patreon and for Patreon within partner organizations.
- Understand the competitive landscape and identify strategic opportunities and threats.
- Qualify, structure, negotiate, close, and manage strategic partnerships that will help achieve platform adoption, revenue, and creator acquisition.
- Work with product, marketing, creator success, finance and legal teams to evaluate, explore and execute strategic partnership opportunities.
- Maintain active relationships with Patreon’s key partners reinforcing our leadership position in the market, proactively addressing business issues and identifying ways to maximize value for both parties.
- Identify and track relevant metrics of success.
Skills and experience you possess:
- 8 - 10 years of business development, partnership or talent management experience.
- Previous experience in the talent, media or creative platform space with existing contacts within these organizations.
- Deep understanding of creators in the video, podcast or music arena and their use of technology to create, manage or distribute content.
- Ability to work cross-functionally to stand-up new lines of business within an organization and program manage the launch of new strategic partners.
- Ability to establish new incentive structures and gain internal and external buy-in for these structures.
- Ability to influence and build relationships with people across all levels and organizations internally and externally.
- Proven experience developing, negotiating and structuring complex deals.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with an ability to speak effectively to executives, large artists/creators, marketing and business development managers.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
Back to top