Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Impact you will have:
- You'll help Patreon scale the foundation of a platform that helps creators pay rent and enables higher levels of creativity.
- You'll establish a standard of high availability and reliability for Patreon's production systems.
- You'll influence the direction of our technical roadmap.
What you will do:
- Create and administer infrastructure -- cloud services, hosts, monitoring tools -- for highly reliable and scalable web applications and data stores.
- Build automated tooling to configure and maintain our systems and services.
- Identify and solve issues in our stack.
- Work closely with your peers in security and engineering.
- Train and mentor your colleagues.
- Vet new technologies to support our operational needs and improve the working lives of your co-workers.
- Participate in an on-call rotation ~1 week per month.
Projects you might work on:
- Stress test our stack to find cracks in the system and help us scale.
- Design an entirely new way to deploy Patreon’s code.
- Build tools that address engineering challenges and empower people throughout the organization.
- Guide the team in the best way to use configuration management to grow and administer our fleet.
- Introduce a cutting edge tool or service that pushes our core tech stack forward and improves the reliability and stability of our site.
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have experience in DevOps or Site Reliability for a company experiencing fast-paced growth.
- You are knowledgable in configuration management with a framework such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet.
- You understand the ins and outs of AWS, Linux, and MySQL well enough to teach others how to use them, and can comfortably operate all of them from the CLI.
- You are proficient with a programming language like Python or Ruby, and with shell scripting.
- Your documentation and verbal communication skills are excellent, and you're able to collaborate and rally support with people on and off your team.
- You are inclined to automate, but can discern when automation isn't the best solution and present alternatives.
- You've worked with continuous integration and deployment systems, and have ideas about how to build and improve those systems.
- You strongly believe in the importance of security, and enjoy the idea of partnering with the security team to ensure the integrity of our customers' data.
- You have productive habits, healthy process awareness, and good teamwork skills and instincts.
Who you'll work with
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Not only is it the right thing to do, but pursuing diversity of perspectives helps us build for our diverse community of creators and patrons. To learn how we're working towards this, please click here.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
- We are excited to share Patreon’s revamped Engineering Leveling Guide. Check it out here.
- Check out video testimonials, photos, and more on TheMuse
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn
Thanks very much for taking the time to learn about the team behind Patreon. If you want to join us changing creator’s lives, we’d love to talk.
Meet Some of Patreon's Employees
Valerie fosters a strong, diverse Engineering Team by mentoring individuals across technical teams and hiring new team members. She also oversees special projects, like overhauling leveling guidelines.
Back to top