Senior Backend Engineer, International
Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
We have payed out over $500 million directly to creators on our platform this year alone, and our user base has doubled. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer, International .
What you will do:
- Lead and contribute to development of critical product engineering projects, working with and mentoring other team members.
- Design internal APIs for amazing product experiences that work across our web, iOS and Android apps.
- Help scale our backend architecture and migrate to a service-oriented future.
- Work with a supportive team to get things done with the right mix of quality and agility.
- Advocate for optimized practices across the engineering organization.
- Collaborate with people from all walks of life, motivated by passion for our shared mission.
- Build tools to help creators manage their businesses, gain insights from their data, and get closer to their biggest fans.
- Work with Python 3, Flask, MySQL, AWS, Redis, and Kafka, introducing other technologies when it makes sense.
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have experience shipping quality code, releasing early, and iterating rapidly.
- You understand how Internet services work at scale. You can think deeply about how systems will behave as we continue to grow and expand to new markets and creators.
- You have expertise in relational databases such as MySQL, and know how to design performant, scalable solutions.
- You have opinions on what makes effective programming and testing practices. You can evangelize these practices and help our engineering team achieve better and better quality.
- You are smart about scheduling and planning. You can scope technical solutions and understand how they contribute to our product roadmap.
- You know how to write clear code.
- You are experienced using monitoring and metrics to provide visibility into your work.
- You prefer practicality over dogmatism.
Projects you may work on:
- Developing the next generation of the Patreon payments experience and international expansion to serve creators in many niches.
- Rearchitecting our foundational services like Messages and Notifications, to enable new functionality while guaranteeing reliable performance at scale.
- Helping our creators understand and grow their businesses by turning time-series data into actionable insights and dashboards.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Not only is it the right thing to do, but pursuing diversity of perspectives helps us build for our diverse community of creators and patrons. To learn how we're working towards this, please click here. If you identify with a traditionally underrepresented group of individuals in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply!
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill on it. We believe that hiring smart, thoughtful, people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results. We encourage you to learn more about how we think about culture at Patreon, to make sure we’re the right place for you.
You’ll love working here if:
- You care about getting artists and creators paid.
- You believe the best products are built with a human-centered design process.
- You love to design impactful, well crafted experiences.
- You work best in a highly collaborative environment.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
Thanks very much for taking the time to learn about the team behind Patreon. If you want to join us changing creator’s lives, we’d love to talk.
Back to top