Director of Engineering, Membership Product
- San Francisco, CA
Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $1 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Director or Senior Director of Engineering.
What you will do:
- Lead multiple engineering teams that fall under the Membership Product group, which focuses on the growth and product development of Patreon’s core value proposition, a membership platform that delivers a delightful experience for creators, patrons, and fans -- all in service to fund the creative class.
- Report to the VP/Head of Engineering and partner with Senior Engineering Leadership on strategic planning to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy and core behaviors.
- Manage, coach, and support a team of Engineering Managers. Build exceptional teams of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact, directly and through your managers.
- Think ahead and set the vision, roadmap, and backlog for Patreon’s Membership Product
- Own the metrics for conversion, retention, and creator trust.
- Work with our Product, Engineering, Design, GTM, and other cross-functional teams to ensure alignment and collaboration.
- Have a service-oriented and product quality mindset while driving technical excellence across the organization. Leverage your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Partner with Recruiting to help scale the Membership Product Engineering group by hiring the best talent
- Keep up with the industry trends and and assess new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
Skills and experience you possess:
- At least 5 years of engineering management experience, including experience managing managers.
- Technical leadership: Ability to set a long-term vision for the team and drive long-term execution towards that vision through architecture and process. Track record of taking a thorough approach to technical design and execution of large technical projects. Ability to bring clarity and structure to the technical and non-technical aspects of the project
- Strong communicator: Good at communicating to multiple audiences, including technical and non-technical colleagues. Setting expectations with others. Collaborating with stakeholders and teams.
- Strong people manager: Able to mentor, coach, and develop engineers at all levels and engineering managers to do the best work of their careers
- Business Acumen: Strong understanding of business dynamics, goals, and how Engineering fits into Patreon’s overall business
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
Back to top