Data Engineering Lead
Impact you will have:
- You'll help Patreon scale the foundation of a platform that helps creators pay rent and enables higher levels of creativity.
- You'll define the vision of the Data Engineering team, building a scalable data platform to store, process and query terabytes of data.
- You'll strongly influence the direction of the Data Engineering technical roadmap.
What you will do:
- Work closely with the Data Science team to design and build a flexible and scalable data platform for handling large amounts of data.
- Identify and implement the best technologies and policies needed to ingest, store, manage and interact with Patreon’s data.
- Lead the way in developing good analytical model storage and consumption patterns.
- Create and administer infrastructure (cloud services, hosts, monitoring tools) for highly reliable and scalable web applications and data stores in tandem with the infrastructure team.
- Coordinate with Data Science, Marketing, Growth, Leadership, and other teams to help understand and support their needs.
- Vet new technologies to support our operational needs and improve the working lives of your co-workers.
- Train and mentor your colleagues and be an instrumental part of building a fast moving and flexible Data Engineering team.
Projects you might work on:
- Design, implement, and refine solutions that help detect patterns of fraud and abuse.
- Re-architect our ETL pipelines.
- Create an outstanding deep dive analytical workspace with a notebook-like tool (we’re currently using Databricks, but are open to learning about new tools).
Skills and experience you possess:
- You’re experienced with and have a strong understanding of various relational and non-relational databases including (but we certainly don’t want to limit you to) MySQL and Redshift.
- You’re very comfortable writing clean, well-tested code in Python. If you’re also comfortable writing code in Java, that would be awesome, but it’s not required.
- You’ve designed, developed, refined, and tuned production data pipelines.
- You have experience handling and working with large datasets and the tools to manage them.
- You have strong opinions about data integrity and are willing to share them to ensure the output of your work is reliable and trustworthy.
- Your documentation and verbal communication skills are excellent, and you're able to collaborate and rally support with people on and off your team.
- You understand the tradeoffs between different data streaming pipelines and can advocate for the best tool to get the job done clearly and concisely.
- You have productive habits, healthy process awareness, and good teamwork skills and instincts.
Who you’ll work with:
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Not only is it the right thing to do, but pursuing diversity of perspectives helps us build for our diverse community of creators and patrons. To learn how we're working towards this, please click here.
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill on it. We believe that hiring smart, thoughtful, people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results. We encourage you to learn more about how we think about culture at Patreon, to make sure we’re the right place for you.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
- We are excited to share Patreon’s revamped Engineering Leveling Guide. Check it out here.
- Check out video testimonials, photos, and more on TheMuse
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn
Thanks very much for taking the time to learn about the team behind Patreon. If you want to join us changing creator’s lives, we’d love to talk.
Meet Some of Patreon's Employees
Valerie fosters a strong, diverse Engineering Team by mentoring individuals across technical teams and hiring new team members. She also oversees special projects, like overhauling leveling guidelines.
Back to top