- Flexible / Remote
Driven by the mission to democratize education, Paper is the leader in personalized learning. Partnering with innovative schools and school districts, Paper helps deliver true educational equity through their category leading Educational Support System (ESS) that offers virtual access to 24/7 tutors and essay reviewers. Founded in 2014, Paper philosophically believes that all students should be given the tools and resources to reach their academic potential, independent of socio-economic status, geography, language or other barriers. Today, Paper is partnered with over 700 schools and supports over 750,000 students. We are headquartered in Montreal, Quebec with remote employees across the US and Canada. Paper is proud to have been named by GSV as one of the most transformational growth companies in digital learning.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Corporate Attorney will support the team in the review and negotiation of contracts (including customer and vendor), and provide legal advice regarding the associated risks. The ideal candidate can assess and clearly communicate associated risks, understand how these risks tie into the general business goals, and play an active role in mitigating risk. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly adaptable and collaborative team player to join a fast-growing company and make a significant impact.
- Review, draft and negotiate a wide variety of agreements, including service agreement, professional services, marketing, and vendor agreements
- Identify legal and regulatory issues in customer agreements and product initiatives, including privacy and data security issues, and working with the appropriate resources to create solutions and minimize risk
- Engage strategically in risk assessment/mitigation and developing innovative approaches to legal issues in support of business objectives
- Help with day-to-day legal activities including corporate governance, compliance, policies, intellectual property, privacy, cybersecurity and labor law issues
- Assist with tracking and managing existing contract expirations, renewals, non-renewals, extensions, and amendments
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other departments including marketing, sales, product, and HR
- Provide strategic legal advice on a broad range of legal topics
- Uphold and embody Paper’s mission, vision, and values
- 5+ years of experience, preferably in a private company’s legal department
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, terms and conditions
- Strong business judgement; ability to assess legal risk and provide practical advice
- Ability to act as a legal advisor and partner, providing insight and advice in conversations with the sales team
- A team-player mindset with the ability to work collaboratively across various functions and with colleagues at all levels
- Familiarity with technology, IP and privacy experience is considered an asset
A great place to work! Paper offers a fast-paced, dynamic, inclusive work environment where all employees have an impact. You will be challenged to achieve, develop, and grow as part of a hyper-growth company.
We are naturally curious and have strong attention to detail. We love working in a team environment where trust is key and we all strive to make an impact every day. If this sounds like the right fit, please apply and come work with us.
We believe that diverse teams build better products. Paper does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender orientation, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations.
Back to top