VP Platform Engineering
Pandora, the leader in streaming music and artist discovery, is seeking a VP Platform Engineering, who will lead the teams of engineers and systems administrators who build, manage and operate our infrastructure, analytics, dev-ops, colocation facilities and networking. This role is also responsible for our User Support Operations team. This is a critical role which all of Pandora’s Innovation, Products and Initiatives rely on. This role reports to Pandora’s Chief Product Officer & EVP Engineering.
This is a career-defining opportunity to oversee the technology associated with Pandora’s core infrastructure; the analytics, storage and networking systems that support how we serve our listeners, label partners and advertisers. This is an important and a unique opportunity that will allow someone to play a key role in the growth of Pandora’s technology platform, which supports growing needs of our company and our listeners. This role is responsible for some of the key technical assets and the teams that drive Pandora’s leadership in the music space, the technology platform that both drives Pandora’s ubiquity and its world class personalization.
Additionally, we’re looking for someone who takes great pride in the software engineering discipline and is looking to play an influential role in the evolution of our organization. We believe that our collective success results from our focus on making individual contributors successful. We seek a high-EQ leader who values transparency, is an influential collaborator, and who takes great joy in enabling others’ happiness, development and success. Our vision is to be the effortless source of personalized music enjoyment and discovery for billions, and your passion for this cause is an essential qualification for this opportunity.
- Set a vision for, build and manage a team of engineers, systems administrators and networking engineers focused on building our core infrastructure, the platform that supports all of Pandora’s applications and business.
- Lead the infrastructure that enables the delivery of quality products on schedule.
- Deliver on our impressive track record around reliability with almost four 9’s of uptime over the past 10 years.
- Set the vision for the systems that drive the entire analytics infrastructure for our business and our product. (13 PB of data in a 16 PB cluster, hundreds of users).
- Facilitate all engineering activities related to our analytics systems including Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Kafka and Spark. Additionally, we’re using google cloud and amazon AWS for key initiatives where the activity comes in bursts.
- Lead the teams that manage all networking and content delivery relationships for Pandora. (375 Gbps peak bandwidth).
- Lead the teams that oversee all of our colocation facilities (4 major facilities and 7000 servers).
- Work strategically with partners across the company to enable our engineers to build and delivery quality products.
- Work closely with leadership peers in engineering to continue to evolve our engineering practices and processes.
- Work very closely with our science and research teams to build innovative experiences for our listeners.
- Assume primary group administrative responsibilities including staffing, budgeting and resource planning.
- Provides leadership across the company on best practices and standards for building core infrastructure.
- Hire and retain best-in-class technical talent.
User Support Operations:
- Balance innovation with execution, incorporating qualitative and quantitative user experiences to inform product design and development.
- Represent the voice of the Pandora user, working with product teams to provide insights and analytics that drive innovation.
- Drive user success outcomes by growing subscription revenue and reducing churn through cross-sell and up-sell efforts.
- Identification of technology and tools and drive integration and adoption of them.
- Build and leverage cross-functional partnerships with Product, Marketing, Engineering, Artist Industry, Subscriptions, Sales and other teams to influence, manage and drive user support roadmap internally.
- Motivate ongoing process improvements through email and social media tools to increase effectiveness, enhance our subscriber experience and constrain costs and risks.
- Develop, track and analyze key metrics and performance indicators to measure overall team performance and to inform decisions related to ongoing planning and improvements.
- Facilitate regular strategic planning sessions with internal teams to communicate subscriber support issues, general support findings and improvements in procedures.
- A keen interest and/or passion for music.
- 5+ years of leading an engineering organization, including managing people managers of large scale engineering teams (100+).
- Extensive experience leading a technology team that predictably delivers quality product on schedule.
- Experience managing a team responsible for very large data sets both transactional and analytical (many petabytes).
- Leadership that values collaboration over competition and shared responsibility over ownership.
- Proven track record of identifying and mentoring both technical leaders and technical people managers.
- Experience working in a larger company (2000+) with constituents in many different parts of the organization.
- Experience working on a consumer facing product where personalization is key.
- Experience building, leading and managing a user support or business operations organization.
- Extensive experience building and operationalizing community based support models.
- Experience with extreme team growth and the required organizational development (~100% annually).
- A passionate, dynamic individual who cares deeply about their work.
- A leader who exhibits both confidence and humility.
- A leader that pushes to innovate and is comfortable challenging the status quo.
- Proven track record of building and maintaining strong relationships within the Engineering organization and cross-functional teams company-wide.
- Experience managing and leading large-scale transformational changes which includes evolving practices, processes and org structure.
- Experience leading in a highly matrixed organization.
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected] This email box is designed to assist job seekers who require a reasonable accommodation to the application process. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
In your email, please include the following:
- The specific accommodation requested to complete the employment application.
- The location or office to which you would like to apply
- The subject of the email should read "Request for Reasonable Accommodation".
Meet Some of Pandora's Employees
VP, Head of Music Maker Strategy & Operations
In his role, Mike is focused on opening up Pandora to music makers and helping artists maximize their use of the platform with content and live events.
Back to top