Staff Scientist, Advertising Technologies
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora!
At Pandora, we are dedicated to music, because we believe it has enormous potential to make people’s lives better. As Staff Scientist for Advertising Science you’ll help us find out just how far we can go to creatively optimize our Ads business so that we can expand how we bring music to the world. Computational advertising brings in special challenges and opportunities here at Pandora, so in order to be successful, you will need a deep background in all facets of advertising science. It might surprise you to learn that we have the highest time spent used of any mobile app in the United States (more than even Facebook), have over nine percent of the entire radio market here in the USA, and recently received $480M in recent funding from Sirius XM to continue to evolve our product. Digital audio advertising is the one medium not dominated by Google or Facebook, and is ripe for innovation and disruption.
The Science Team at Pandora is exceptional, and offers an amazing place to thrive in your career. We’re betting that when you take a look inside you’ll get hooked! If you have an interest in joining Pandora in its mission to unleash the infinite power of music, then we encourage you to apply.
- Work on one or more of the following areas:
- Ad Serving (when to play ads, which types of ads, and which ads)
- Ad Targeting (build proprietary targeting segment based on the rich Pandora data)
- Ad Pricing
- Ad Quality (what makes a good ad? An effective ad?)
- Ad Effectiveness (measure the casual impact of ads on sales, brand lift, brand awareness, etc.)
- Build methods and systems used by other Scientists and Pandora
- PhD or M.S. in a quantitative field
- Experience in production stacks involving machine learning and AB testing
- 5+ years experience as a data scientist or applied research engineer
- Experience with large scale applications in machine learning & statistical techniques
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex projects across functional areas (engineering, product, Ad operations)
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior scientists or applied research engineers
- Experience with software development tools (revision control, IDEs, etc.)
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Ad response prediction modeling
- Ad selection
- Machine Learned Ranking
- Knowledge of digital advertising practices and technologies
- Proficiency in Python or Java
- Proficiency with Hadoop, Hive, or Pig (or proprietary equivalents)
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected] This email box is designed to assist job seekers who require a reasonable accommodation to the application process. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
In your email, please include the following:
- The specific accommodation requested to complete the employment application.
- The location or office to which you would like to apply
- The subject of the email should read "Request for Reasonable Accommodation".
Meet Some of Pandora's Employees
VP, Head of Music Maker Strategy & Operations
In his role, Mike is focused on opening up Pandora to music makers and helping artists maximize their use of the platform with content and live events.
Back to top