Staff or Principal Scientist, Content Science (Music & Podcasts)
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora!
Want to be a member of the Content Science team? We value content, both music and non-music, and the people who create and distribute it; Content Creators - artists, writers, labels, podcasters, curators, and music analysts - are at the center of our mission and everything we do. With billions of hours of listening to the music of hundreds of thousands of artists, you will contribute to understanding the variety, richness, and depth of our content, and its interconnections with content creators and distributors. We build a variety of products and services, both internal and external, to improve the experiences of content creators and listeners. As an example, algorithms developed by Content Scientists power the Artist Audio Message targeting through our AMP platform, which surpassed 1 Billion impressions. As a Content Scientist, you will be building products and services to identify, organize, and promote music and non-music content to hundreds of millions of Pandora listeners at scale. For this special role, we are looking for a staff machine learning scientist who shares our enthusiasm about music and non-music content and building cutting-edge services to power the next generation of audio products. Successful candidates will have significant expertise in statistical modeling and machine learning, solid programming skills, outstanding communication skills, and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team with diverse skill set.
To land this gig, you will need:
- PhD degree in a quantitative field
- Demonstrated expertise in a computational field with a strong background in machine learning and/or statistics
- 7+ years experience as an industry focused data scientist
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects cross-functionally collaborating with Product and Engineering
- Experience mentoring junior data scientists
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and executing Big Data solutions
- Expertise in Python or Java and experience with software development tools
- Proficiency with Hadoop, SQL, and Hive (or proprietary equivalent)
Bonus points if:
- Expertise in Text mining, Natural Language Processing or modeling spoken word content
- Experience building recommendation systems
- Track record of research publications and/or serving on program committees
- Contributions to the open source community
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org This email box is designed to assist job seekers who require a reasonable accommodation to the application process. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
In your email, please include the following:
- The specific accommodation requested to complete the employment application.
- The location or office to which you would like to apply
- The subject of the email should read "Request for Reasonable Accommodation".
Back to top