Sr. Software Engineer, Database Administration
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora!
We have terrific opportunities in Database Administration for innovative, inspired problem solvers who are enthusiastic about scaling Pandora's storage platforms to support our rapidly expanding community of listeners. With the right skills and experience, you will be managing Pandora's 24x7 PostgreSQL clusters. You’ll get the chance to take on complex and interesting problems as part of a fast-paced, highly collaborative team.
We've built a complex cluster around PostgreSQL for scalability and high availability. It's imperative that you approach administration with an emphasis on repeatability, testability and consistency. The demands on this system are increasing rapidly as we grow the user base and add more functionality. We're looking for individuals who can help us continue to scale our queries, our systems and our hardware to meet our growing needs. We're looking for someone who has a deep understanding of how to tune and scale database systems. You will be expected to come up to speed quickly on difficult problems, become a significant contributor to a hard-working team, and to take pride in your work.
- Most important: Experience supporting and scaling large databases(>1TB) with multiple data sets
- A deep understanding of database systems and the factors that affect distributed system performance-strong preference for folks with PostgreSQL experience or MySQL
- Minimum 5 years’ experience developing and administering database infrastructure for mission critical applications.
- Strong SQL skills and deep experience writing stored procedures.
- Experience developing stored procedures (PL/pgSQL)
- Experience supporting redundant systems with 24X7 availability requirement
- A deep understanding of database design principles
- If no Postgres experience, eagerness to pivot career to developing and supporting DBMS with Postgres
- Thorough knowledge of current hardware systems, RAID and disk subsystems commonly used in fault tolerant production environments + Ability to proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve live database systems issues
- Strong scripting and automation skills (Shell, Python, etc) (Shell and Bash are the same thing)
- BS or better in Computer Science or a related field.
- Hadoop or other NoSQL administration experience a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment
- Database Administration
- Hadoop (not so much)
- Distributed Systems
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]
Meet Some of Pandora's Employees
VP, Head of Music Maker Strategy & Operations
In his role, Mike is focused on opening up Pandora to music makers and helping artists maximize their use of the platform with content and live events.
Back to top