Sr. Hadoop Administrator - Big Data Engineering & Operations
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora.
We've built a complex analytics system around Hadoop & Hive for scalability and high availability. It's imperative that you approach administration with an emphasis on repeatability, testability and consistency. The demands on this system are increasing rapidly as we grow the user base and add more functionality. We're looking for someone who has a deep understanding of hardware and understands how to tune systems appropriately based on a particular architecture.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in Hadoop administration, operations and some experience with big data software development You will be expected to come up to speed quickly on difficult problems, become a significant contributor to a hard-working team, and to take pride in your work.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem resolution skills
- Proactive health monitoring of Pandora's Hadoop Clusters
- Assist end users and application developers with issues using the Hadoop Cluster
- Maintain backups required to restore the metadata and configuration required for our Hadoop Clusters to function
- Setup, monitor, and maintain DR backups for the Hadoop Clusters
- Day-to-day operational support with a 24x7 on-call rotation
- Conduct installs, patching, and upgrades of Hadoop Cluster and other Big Data Platforms
- Support in-house tools related to the use of Big Data Platforms
- Assist with Proof of Concept projects to validate Big Data/Messaging technology new to Pandora
- Configuration Management and Automation
- Stay current with advancements in Hadoop and the Big Data Space in general
- Offer recommendations for new Big Data Platform architectures
- Team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- 3-5 Years experience Hadoop administration
- Deep Understanding of HDFS architecture and operations
- Deep Understanding of YARN and Application Scheduling (i.e. Capacity Scheduler)
- Understanding of Map/Reduce principles on Hadoop
- Experience supporting Hive
- Experience maintaining large clusters (>2PB or >200 Datanodes)
- Demonstrated proficiency with at least one scripting language (i.e. Bash, Python, Ruby, Perl)
- System Administration experience on a Linux platform, preferably Debian
- Ability to use OS and Network metrics to identify bottlenecks
Good SQL skills
- Experience with the Hortonworks HDP Distro
- Experience working in a secured Hadoop Cluster environment (Network access restrictions, Kerberos)
- Experience with OS Package creation and deployment (.rpm, .deb)
- Experience using Ansible for configuration management and automation of tasks
- Experience with Apache Ambari
- Experience with Apache Kafka
- Experience with the setup and administration of HiveServer2
- Past experience with HBase or Spark is a bonus
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]
Meet Some of Pandora's Employees
VP, Head of Music Maker Strategy & Operations
In his role, Mike is focused on opening up Pandora to music makers and helping artists maximize their use of the platform with content and live events.
Back to top