Service Reliability Engineer - Staff
- Oakland, CA
SiriusXM and Pandora have joined together to create the leading audio entertainment company in the U.S. Together, we are uniquely positioned to lead a new era of audio entertainment by delivering the most compelling subscription and ad-supported audio experiences to millions of listeners -- in the car, at home and on the go. Our talent, content, technology and innovation continue to be at the forefront, and we want you to be a part of it! Check out our current openings below and at www.siriusxm.com/careers.
The Services Reliability Engineering team is a pillar of the Services Enablement Engineering organization. Our team owns the overall scalability, observability and resilience of the collection of services powering SiriusXM and Pandora. We work in partnership with a broad collection of cross-functional engineering teams to improve velocity, efficiency and provide the paved-path frameworks making it easy for service teams to “do the right thing.”
As a senior member of the Service Reliability Engineering team, you’ll join architectural conversations and have a voice in building the foundation enabling our next generation suite of services. You’ll act as a technical lead and mentor: developing strategies to manage the end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services; helping teams implement recommended solutions; and providing guidance to team members and cross-functional partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To be successful, you are comfortable diving into detailed conversations with your partners in the technical operations/production engineering domains. You understand microservices architecture and are passionate about building and maintaining high availability 24x7 distributed systems. You’re well versed in gRPC, distributed tracing, and enabling the quality gates needed for CI/CD. You have a strong understanding of both active-passive and active-active architectures; as well as, tweaking interactions between infrastructure, networking and the service layers for maximum performance. You have exposure to or experience with service mesh strategies.
An observability champion, you understand the complexities of instrumenting/monitoring services, gathering metrics, separating useful signals from the noise, and are comfortable testing in production. You are an excellent communicator, listener and have the ability to tailor technical explanations to your audience.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science; and/or, 7+ years of relevant work experience
- Polyglot coder, fluent in: Java, Python, Bash, GraphQL, Node JS and/or similar
- Strong knowledge of design patterns for resilience and high availability (ie: rate limiting, circuit breaking, fallbacks, etc)
- Experience working with hybrid and multi-cloud architectures (GCP/AWS)
- Demonstrated expertise with Linux
- Strong understanding of and experience with complex 24x7 available distributed systems
- History of building and/or managing: Microservices Architecture, Active-Active strategies
- Expertise with build tools, particularly Jenkins, Gradle, Git
- Strong desire to provide guidance and support to members of your team.
- Ability to effectively document processes, procedures and best practices, succinctly.
- Participation in on-call rotation
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Familiarity with a service mesh leveraging Envoy as the proxy (Consul Connect, Istio).
- Capacity Planning
- IT Operations
- Change Management
- Application Security Aware
Relevant Technical Skills/Stack
- Runtime Infrastructure : Docker, Consul, Vault
- Storage Systems: Redis, Postgres, BigTable, Thanos
- Hybrid/Multi Cloud: GCP, AWS
- Monitoring: Prometheus, ELK Stack, Anomaly Detection
- Messaging : Kafka
- Java / Jetty, Python, GraphQL, Node JS
Our goal at SiriusXM+Pandora is to provide and maintain a work environment that fosters mutual respect, professionalism and cooperation. SiriusXM+Pandora is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, gender identity, marital status, familial status, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The requirements and duties described above may be modified or waived by the Company in its sole discretion without notice.
Back to top