Senior Data Engineer, Next Big Sound
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora.
Next Big Sound is the leading provider of online music analytics and insights, tracking hundreds of thousands of artists around the world. We use our expertise in prediction research and cross platform performance measurement to deliver analytics and insights to music makers as well as Pandora's listeners and advertising partners.
We are looking for a senior data engineer to work directly with our science and product teams to ingest and integrate large volumes of disparate data from a variety of sources. This involves rapid innovation in large scale data pipeline design and development to ensure critical data sets are audited, normalized and made available to our users and predictive models in a timely manner.
What will you do?
- Design, build, and maintain scalable and resilient API services that expose our data to internal teams and developers
- Evolve our data engineering and ETL architecture
- Facilitate cross-functional data-integration efforts upstream and downstream
- Detect data quality issues, identify their root causes, implement fixes and design data audits to capture the issues in the future
Who are you?
- You are a passionate Software Engineer at least 5 years of experience
- You have extensive experience with data processing in Hadoop and manipulating data with Java, Pig, Python, Spark, and Hive.
- Interest in learning about or direct experience with open-source data processing and warehousing technologies like HBase, Druid, ElasticSearch, MemSQL and Impala.
- You consider yourself a full-stack engineer and have experience across the stack with a desire to focus on APIs, tools and the services backing them up.
- Some familiarity with open-source event stream processing technologies a plus (Samza, Flink, Kafka, Spark Streaming, Storm, etc.)
How do you work?
- You enjoy leading by example and mentoring others
- You are rarely happy with the status quo and are always looking for ways to improve things
- You are hungry and eager to learn new systems, and technologies.
- You are self-directed and enjoy the challenge and freedom of deciding what is the most impactful thing to work on next
- You take ownership of your work from planning to deployment & monitoring
- You are not shy about speaking up, and you believe that constructive debate leads to better solutions
- You deliver exceptional results through iterative improvement rather than initial perfection
- You seek to automate mundane or repetitive work
- You understand how to balance new feature work with technical debt
- You are comfortable working through ambiguity to get to a focused solution
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected] This email box is designed to assist job seekers who require a reasonable accommodation to the application process. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
In your email, please include the following:
- The specific accommodation requested to complete the employment application.
- The location or office to which you would like to apply
- The subject of the email should read "Request for Reasonable Accommodation".
Meet Some of Pandora's Employees
VP, Head of Music Maker Strategy & Operations
In his role, Mike is focused on opening up Pandora to music makers and helping artists maximize their use of the platform with content and live events.
Back to top