Principal Software Engineer - Connected Vehicle
- Irving, TX
The Connected Vehicle Services division of SiriusXM builds and delivers software-based services on our connected car platform. The software we develop not only adds convenience to the daily life of our subscribers, but safety and security as well; when the worst happens, our software helps to save lives.
We are in the early days of driving off the monolithic server beasts in favor of high quality, at-scale microservices in a cloud environment. Working on our team will give you the opportunity to craft software in an agile, team-focused environment while learning and exercising a multitude of skills. We focus on keeping developers happy and productive; fostering a positive atmosphere to help you make the right decisions and to learn and grow both professionally and personally.
We are looking for a motivated and passionate software craftsperson to help us create, extend, and maintain the core of our connected car software platform as we expand past our current offerings in services related to safety, security and convenience in order to take our business to the next level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be a team player, someone who can communicate both orally and through our various written communication mechanisms.
- Adhere to rules established to enforce test-driven/behavior-drive development, maintaining wiki pages, code style, and code group/peer review.
- Analyze requirements and technical specifications and implement assigned development tasks using various web technologies.
- Develop, maintain, and debug cloud based micro-service APIs
- Maintain and extend existing on-premise software systems
- Be able to dig in and troubleshoot pre and post production issues.
- Bachelor's (BSc) in engineering, computer science, or related field; master's preferred
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer with experience in multiple development languages and platforms delivering multiple commercially deployed products to market
- 3+ years of experience developing highly scalable and reliable software systems on AWS
Requirements and General Skills:
- Works well with others and is a skilled communicator both written and oral; acts with professionalism both in person and when working on the phone with partners.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and work under shifting deadlines with potentially ambiguous or nebulous requirements in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to act a mentor and/or leader
- Experience working in an agile software development organization using Scrum
- Willingness to learn new technologies - often very quickly
- Must have legal right to work in the U.S.
- Mentoring skills and competencies, with an ability to transfer knowledge to junior and senior members of engineering teams
- Ability to quickly assess multifaceted problems and complex situations and recognize patterns to identify and resolve the root cause
- Strong technical knowledge building mission critical/highly available service using current generation toolkits such as Spring, RESTEasy, or Node.JS
- Developing and designing web services through APIs using REST, HTTP, JSON/JSONP, etc
- Solid experience in Java 7, basic understanding of Java 8
- Strong understanding the principles of service-oriented software and large scale distributed systems.
- Working knowledge of SQL-based or NoSQL databases using JDBC, JPA or similar frameworks
- Strong technical knowledge of cloud-based systems -- covering infrastructure, platform and software as services
- Code craftsmanship; rigor in high code quality, automated testing (JUnit, Mockito, Cucumber), and agile engineering best practices
- Knowledge of modern software patterns and anti-patterns
- Able to work within a Git/Gitflow-based multi-branched software environment.
- Preferred experience with Java development tooling: Maven and/or Gradle.
- Used continuous integration environments like TeamCity, Jenkins, Hudson.
- Experience with DevOps best practices and ability to establish a continuous deployment pipeline
- Preferred AWS Certified Solutions Architect
Our goal at SiriusXM+Pandora is to provide and maintain a work environment that fosters mutual respect, professionalism and cooperation. SiriusXM+Pandora is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, gender identity, marital status, familial status, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The requirements and duties described above may be modified or waived by the Company in its sole discretion without notice.
Back to top