Director of Software Engineering, Next Big Sound
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora.
Launched in 2009, and acquired by Pandora in 2015, Next Big Sound is the leading provider of online music analytics and insights, used by thousands of individual bands and managers as well as the biggest labels, distributors, and brands in the world. As part of Pandora, we use our expertise in prediction research and cross platform performance measurement to deliver analytics and insights to music makers, the global the music industry, as well as Pandora's listeners and advertising partners.
We have a great opportunity for a Director of Engineering on the Next Big Sound team at Pandora for someone who wants the speed and agility of a self-contained startup environment, with the resources and stability of a $1B+ company. We are looking for someone who can manage diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing personnel strengths with business requirements.
As Director of Engineering, Next Big Sound you’ll be responsible for leading the engineering team at Pandora responsible for transforming the music industry through data by making data useful to every artist, manager, and industry executive through charts and cutting edge analytics tools.
Specifically you’ll be responsible for:
- The delivery of Next Big Sound engineering projects on time and with quality.
- Identifying and improving engineering processes while retaining and growing the team.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Pandora as a company and how their individual work fits into the bigger picture.
- Coaching the professional development of each direct report through personal development and performance management.
- Representing the needs, blockers, and sentiment of the engineering team in Next Big Sound leadership meetings and with Pandora executives more broadly.
- Giving engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently.
- Initiate collaboration with NBS design, product management, client services and other teams across Pandora to ensure high-quality communication and focused solutions (and inspire your team to independently do the same).
- Clearly articulating desired outcomes and encouraging engineers to develop simple solutions to complex problems.
- Provide direct feedback and guidance to improve individual performance.
- Facilitate learning through workshops, meetings, and team offsites.
As Director of Engineering, Next Big Sound at Pandora our ideal requirements are:
- B.S. or higher degree in Computer Science
- 12+ years of experience managing teams of 15+ software engineers in shipping software products at scale
- Strong knowledge of full stack development and architecture
- Previous history leading and growing engineering teams, ideally at both startups and at scaled organizations.
- 5+ years successfully leading a distributed engineering team and able to rely on a variety of management and organizational development practices.
- Strong technical acumen which represents leadership the team can learn from.
- Experience managing, developing and guiding people managers.
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]
Back to top